dixieschicks

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 30, 2007
CUSTER PARK ILLINOIS
4231_000_0947.jpg

4231_000_0379.jpg

hello,

top picture, is Gert now. Bottom picture is before molt?

i have this poor little frizzle bantam cochin that started to molt? in late April.

none of my other cochins, light bramas, EE's, silkies or polish are in molt?

it is now coming in to fall soon and still no feathers. she is one of my best layers and does not act sick.

is this a molt? i have only had chickens since last November and am still learning.

i feel so bad for her and dont know what to do! i was thinkin on joining the granny square crochet club and make poor lil Gert a sweater for Winter!

any ideas on this? thanks cindy

Oh my! That poor thing! Unfortunatley I am fairly new myself and have not gone through the molting yet. So I can't help. I will keep an eye on this thread to learn about it though. I like your sweater idea! I think she would look sporty in purple!
lol.png

she is a poor lil thing! she is my smallest and fiestiest chicken! i have a flock of 36 chickens that are all on organic poultry layer food from Countryside in Virginia.

they are also treated to organic scratch, cucumbers and apple scraps from my garden, and some free range time in the grass with pens.

all of my chickens are fine but her. the other chicken in the second picture with her is her friend "Bobbie". Bobbie still looks just like she came with feathers. I am just worried about winter coming. I was serious about that sweater! They live in a 12 x 12 coop that my DH and I built complete with heat lamps and heated water but here in Illinois the winters get cold!

I have not experienced a hard molt yet, so I'm not sure if that's what your hen is going through but, if that's it, you might consider feeding a higher protein or extra protein treats to her; this will help her get through the molt easier. Good luck!
smile.png

Molting hens typicaly don't lay well. If she's molting and laying it's going to be hard for her to regrow her feathers.

It seems those "best layers" sometimes molt really hard. I have two who did the same. Is she still laying eggs? If she is it's just going to be that much more difficult for her to get those feathers in. I suggest, as others have, to up the protien but in addition I would start her out on some Avia Charge 2000. McMurrey carries it. It's a all natural nutritional supplement that is really complete. I saw results in about two weeks. I still make about 1/2 gallon every day and give it to all my girls free choice. It's also great for ducklings.
smile.png
Great stuff! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom