To much scratch?

I measure it out. Tonight I only gave them black oil sunflower seeds and fly larva. I don’t give more then a cup of any treat for 13 hens. I hike that’s ok? I’m a new chicken mama.

Might still a wee bit on the high side as far as treat % vs feed. I have 11 birds and they get about 1/4 cup of BOSS or BSFL if I'm feeling generous, but usually less than that most of the time. I specifically use the treats to reward them for returning to the run when called, so it's very high value to them.

I give my pullets and hens Scratch daily.
A half Tbsp per chicken twice daily scattered in their pen, a Tbsp per chicken twice daily during winter season.
20200912_091223_resized.jpg

A coffee scoop makes measuring easy for 8 chickens.

I feed a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower 18% Protein year round with Oyster Shells separately.
20201031_055028_resized.jpg

If that feed isn't available when I'm at TSC I buy an All-Flock crumble 20%.

My 5 pullets 7 months old are laying daily. My 3 hens 27 months old are laying a couple eggs weekly. One hen is molting.
20201129_101402_resized.jpg

Her pin feathers are coming in nicely. GC

Either way is fine - since yours are laying there's really no reason not to use the layer if you prefer that feed. I choose to feed both layer and grower year round, as long as I don't have chicks (when I do, I feed everyone what the chicks are eating).
I agree except originally I feed the chicks a higher protein starter feed. In the summer months here it's so hot so I give all of the birds layer when they really don't need the higher protein.

I agree except originally I feed the chicks a higher protein starter feed. In the summer months here it's so hot so I give all of the birds layer when they really don't need the higher protein.

I start chicks off on a mix of 20.5% fermented starter and 18% all flock crumble. By the time I run out of starter (around 6-7 weeks) they're ready to go onto 17% fermented grower + all flock and they and the entire flock stays on that until the littles are ready to lay, at which time I swap out the crumble for layer pellets. It's a little more work doing it that way, but I like keeping protein a little higher than bare minimum and keeps calcium a little lower for older birds that have slowed in laying.

I give my pullets and hens Scratch daily.
A half Tbsp per chicken twice daily scattered in their pen, a Tbsp per chicken twice daily during winter season.View attachment 2437545
A coffee scoop makes measuring easy for 8 chickens.

I feed a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower 18% Protein year round with Oyster Shells separately.View attachment 2437546
If that feed isn't available when I'm at TSC I buy an All-Flock crumble 20%.

My 5 pullets 7 months old are laying daily. My 3 hens 27 months old are laying a couple eggs weekly. One hen is molting.View attachment 2437553
Her pin feathers are coming in nicely. GC
I just went and picked up all flock 20% protein. I also grabbed more oyster shell and some meal worms. Should I mix the all flock with the layer until they are used to it or go cold turkey?

I just went and picked up all flock 20% protein. I also grabbed more oyster shell and some meal worms. Should I mix the all flock with the layer until they are used to it or go cold turkey?

Either way is fine IMO. I've tried easing them into new feed by mixing 50/50 and they just throw out all the new feed to get to the old, so now I switch over cold turkey, and haven't had any issues.

Back
Top Bottom