TO MY SOTHERN GOSLING OWNERS, PLEASE HELP!!!

PurpleWiggleButt

Songster
Apr 26, 2021
Jellico, TN
I live in eastern Tennessee and we've had 85+° days and upper 70° at night. My 3 goslings(Emdens) are 2½ weeks old and they won't sleep under the 80° heat lamp even in the air-conditioned house and I've even lowered the temp to 75°. We spend all of our days outside eating grass, playing in water, preening all the new feathers coming in and using their oil gland.

I've been doing alot of research online to see if staying in the coop would be OK for them at that age. All I can find to read is for May & June weather above the Mason Dixon Line.

They have an enclosed coop with overkill on the preditor proofing. It's very warm in the daytime and the heat takes while to disapate after dark. (I'm gonna put in more ventilation when they're fully fledged out)

So to my southern friends... Can my Pterodactyls spend the night outside?!?!?!?!?

Of course this would totally be dependant on the weather like storms, torrential rains, temps under 60° and if I see night stalkers on the camera.

I put Mine outside at 3 weeks. They free range during the day on about 1500 sq ft w multiple pools and shady areas in addition to a large fenced run. I put them into a very small coop at night that they will only be able to fit in for another week (they’re 4 weeks now). But they plan is they will transition to a 5x5 run with a dog house in it for night time but still have access to free range. We don’t have a perimeter fence up on the property so just expanding that area as we add from the brooder.

F7448EE3-30E6-4ED0-A240-E40AF4F30213.jpeg

That’s the best view of the set up. On the far end there are some pools and umbrellas. Then there is a large coop (producers pride defender from tsc) which will house our large flock of welsh harlequins eventually but for now houses 4 jumbo pekins who are living outside only in the run. Then we have what will be the goose coop for our 2 pilgrims but right now we are using it for daytime playtime for the welshies. Then closest is the producers pride sentinel which the goslings sleep in at night. We’ve been locking them up top because it’s been rainy at night but soon they may be sleeping on the bottom run. We would put them in with the pekins but they bully the crap out of them lol.

I put Mine outside at 3 weeks. They free range during the day on about 1500 sq ft w multiple pools and shady areas in addition to a large fenced run. I put them into a very small coop at night that they will only be able to fit in for another week (they’re 4 weeks now). But they plan is they will transition to a 5x5 run with a dog house in it for night time but still have access to free range. We don’t have a perimeter fence up on the property so just expanding that area as we add from the brooder.

View attachment 2727464

That’s the best view of the set up. On the far end there are some pools and umbrellas. Then there is a large coop (producers pride defender from tsc) which will house our large flock of welsh harlequins eventually but for now houses 4 jumbo pekins who are living outside only in the run. Then we have what will be the goose coop for our 2 pilgrims but right now we are using it for daytime playtime for the welshies. Then closest is the producers pride sentinel which the goslings sleep in at night. We’ve been locking them up top because it’s been rainy at night but soon they may be sleeping on the bottom run. We would put them in with the pekins but they bully the crap out of them lol.
Thank you so much!!! This makes me feel so much better I felt bad keeping them in a tiny brooder when there's so much room in the coop.
This is gonna be the first nite out they're I feel like I did when I dropped my kid off at summer camp. I feel better because it's 10:30 and still 80°

Thank you so much!!! This makes me feel so much better I felt bad keeping them in a tiny brooder when there's so much room in the coop.
This is gonna be the first nite out they're I feel like I did when I dropped my kid off at summer camp. I feel better because it's 10:30 and still 80°
I by no means an expert but the only thing I would watch out for is them overheating lol there's plenty of reading material on how to keep them WARM lol but nothing on how to keep them cool! I would just make sure they have shade AND some kind of ventilation like a fan but then you also have to be careful that they don't have unrestricted access to the water.. that plus fan = too chilly. I got this fan from amazon and its my second one... I can't recommend it enough, its a beast and totally worth it. I got the first one for my dogs (my animals are spoiled) and it moves air like nothing else plus a super strong metal housing to withstand our crazy southern weather.

In my limited experience I have noticed that it takes them a while to figure out that the pools will help cool them off. Sometimes ill go out there and they'll be sitting in the shade panting like crazy so ill pick them up and toss them in the pool then they go back to the shade and no more panting! I just set up a nice outdoor fan that will fan the area furthest from the pools so that way they will have a way to cool off no matter where they are in the yard.

The ducks have figured out the pool = cold thing so I don't worry about them but the goslings are just slightly slow on the uptake. I introduced them to pools for a week before sticking them outside (apparently it speeds oil production, but they also love it) and then when I actually put them out there, they couldn't figure out how to get in! Yesterday was the first time I saw the female get in on her own... My point is they still require a fair amount of hovering because the heat makes it tricky but they will still be much happier outside than in the brooder.

Thank you so much for your help! We really need to get some information about very hot weather in the spring when everyone else is fighting cold nites.
I know there are some southern homesteaders who are more versed in this and may have more advice because we can't be the only ones with these questions.
I have bunches of pools and shady places for them to hang out like you do. It was cool last night so I put up the heat lamp and rolled down the tarps and they were fine. They're feathering out faster than i thought but it may be excerize along with the heat.
My only worry still is hawks because they're still small but with the owl and a dog close by and me working in the yard It'll make them think twice

Attachments

• 20210623_002932.jpg
    20210623_002932.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210623_003009.jpg
    20210623_003009.jpg
    525.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Thank you so much for your help! We really need to get some information about very hot weather in the spring when everyone else is fighting cold nites.
I know there are some southern homesteaders who are more versed in this and may have more advice because we can't be the only ones with these questions.
I have bunches of pools and shady places for them to hang out like you do. It was cool last night so I put up the heat lamp and rolled down the tarps and they were fine. They're feathering out faster than i thought but it may be excerize along with the heat.
My only worry still is hawks because they're still small but with the owl and a dog close by and me working in the yard It'll make them think twice
Coincidentally I actually have two hawks that circle my yard but they haven't come anywhere close. I bought some shepherd hooks (for hanging baskets) and these metallic spiral things and put them EVERYWHERE lol you can probably see some in my pics. like one on each side of the run and on the hooks and on each of the plastic fences posts lol (it was a pack of 30 for $21 so that's still super cheap). Apparently when a hawk goes for its dive the reflections mess with depth perception and it aborts the mission. My old neighbors use pie tins and I've also seen people use old CDs/DVDs.

Another thing I've heard of is putting up a "roof" over the whole area of different color string and that also messes with their depth perception but my guys will eventually be on a full 1.5 acres so that just seemed like way too much work.

Once your babies get bigger (they seem only a couple weeks behind mine) the hawks won't even bother unless their desperate because the geese will be about double the size. Eagles are a different story but the deterrents I mentioned may still work for them. If you ave ducks and/or chickens though might be worth just keeping up. Mine have been outside free ranging that area during the day without incident since late may (for the peking and first week of June for the pilgrims). lol knock on wood.

Coincidentally I actually have two hawks that circle my yard but they haven't come anywhere close. I bought some shepherd hooks (for hanging baskets) and these metallic spiral things and put them EVERYWHERE lol you can probably see some in my pics. like one on each side of the run and on the hooks and on each of the plastic fences posts lol (it was a pack of 30 for $21 so that's still super cheap). Apparently when a hawk goes for its dive the reflections mess with depth perception and it aborts the mission. My old neighbors use pie tins and I've also seen people use old CDs/DVDs.

Another thing I've heard of is putting up a "roof" over the whole area of different color string and that also messes with their depth perception but my guys will eventually be on a full 1.5 acres so that just seemed like way too much work.

Once your babies get bigger (they seem only a couple weeks behind mine) the hawks won't even bother unless their desperate because the geese will be about double the size. Eagles are a different story but the deterrents I mentioned may still work for them. If you ave ducks and/or chickens though might be worth just keeping up. Mine have been outside free ranging that area during the day without incident since late may (for the peking and first week of June for the pilgrims). lol knock on wood.
super informative thread. My goslings turned one week old today, and we are moving to a house with a chicken coop at the end of this month. I'll use the info here as a guide to getting started with the outdoor housing stuff.

At what age exactly do you think the hawks are less of a concern? I have a four pound pomeranian dog so I already worry about hawks when I let him out lol -- but he doesn't LIVE outside. I understand predators will always be of concern, I'm just trying to gauge at about what age will the hawks be less likely to go after them?

I think it depends on how many geese you have. At a few months old, they're nearly as large as adults, but just a couple would make a more attractive target for hawks than a large group. I have 15+ grow-outs running with a smaller adult group now, and the hawks have stayed away.
I have two. :hugs

So, yeah. Quite an attractive couple lol

Attachments

• 20FAFBD3-0BD3-4734-9477-3E69A5C0E7E0.jpeg
    20FAFBD3-0BD3-4734-9477-3E69A5C0E7E0.jpeg
    477.3 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom