to paint or not to paint??

Vickir73

Chickens Ate My Brain
9 Years
Sep 9, 2010
Leggett/Livingston
I'm debating on whether or not I need to paint the inside of my coop. Does it really matter?? I read somewhere it might help keep the cobwebs down, but what if it flakes off and the birds eat it?? I'm wanting to get the coop finished no later than the weekend of the 16th so I can move the flock, but I also want to do the best I can. Thoughts???

It wont do anything for the cobwebs. Ours is painted inside and there is still lots of webs to sweep down. If you use a good quality washable paint it makes it easier to clean but if you are just wanting it to be done than go ahead and skip it.

I have 2 walk in coops and painted the inside of both ~ one is sunny yellow with blue nest boxes and the other is sky blue with hot pink nest boxes. The paint makes for easier cleaning and the colors just make me smile when I go inside! I also think that it helps to seal all the little nooks and crannies where mites and other bugs can hide.

Oh fun, it never crossed my mind to paint the inside of the coop fun colors! The husband came home with some "barn and fence" white paint that he got from Lowe's. It works just fine. It makes clean up much easier when i'm spraying the entire coop down with the hose.
big_smile.png

Don't forget to check your paint departments "oops" paint for fun colors ~ that is where I got the quart of hot pink fairly cheap. The sky blue came from mixing some leftover navy blue paint into white. Last time I was at the store I saw a gallon of neon green ~ I wanted to buy but I just couldn't think of where I would use it!

P1110896.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Steal away! The roost actually extends around the corner to the center wire wall & is the same on both sides ~ I split the coop inside & have 2 runs outside. I only have 5 chickens on one side and 10 on the other side ~ for now!
P1110901.jpg

I would paint the floor if it's wood so if you spray out the coop it doesn't absorb any moisture. And I wouldn't worry about them eating it my run is against an old osb painted barn and my chickens were pecking holes in it so I put 1x12 to 'try' and stop this but now they jump up just to get to it.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom