To roo, or not to roo...

Meghalu

Chirping
8 Years
May 2, 2011
The Okanagan
I know this question has been asked again and again....but should I get a roo? (YES!!! I should!) Hopefully I get a good mix of enablers and responsible types answering this post to provide me with balanced feedback.
I want one SOOOOO bad. But I'm in town so I'm not *technically* allowed. But there is a classified ad for a 4 month bantam buff brahma....and he's pretty cute. So, do bantams actually have a quieter crow? And is it wise to have a bantam roo with LF hens? I have 4 LFs and 1 bantam hen. And prior to actually taking him home I would ask the neighbours their feelings regarding roosters. So far they dig my hens, but the hens don't crow.

Sigh....stupid expensive rural land! We live in wine/fruit growing country, so land is outrageously unattainably priced for the time being. Otherwise I would have 5 acres and all the chickens I could shake a stick at.

As someone who has had to get rid of 3 roosters (one raised from an egg) I recommend NOT getting roosters unless you are legal to have them. It will just end in heartbreak
hit.gif
And all three of mine were bantams, so NOOOOOO, they are not quite. And, the neighbor who complained (to us, thankfully), and told us to get rid of the rooster, told us last summer the rooster didn't bother him at all and that his elderly mother actually liked the rooster because it reminded her of her childhood. But, when he complained (basically demanded I get rid of the rooster) I didn't have a leg to stand on.

Back
Top Bottom