To Rooster or not Rooster thst is the question 🤔

City Farmer Jim

Songster
Mar 18, 2020
South Texas close to Corpus Christi
Good day to all the brilliant people here at BYC. WE at Snowflake Farm gave a burning question and are seeking the from the most knowledgeable people there are.
It's a sorta sad story and definitely a live lesson. A year and a half ago we lost 7 of our 8 16 week old bird flock to a predator(DOG) we suspect..we made vast improvements to our fencing and decided to try and raise chickens again...fast forward to our next flock of 6 birds where on the 4th day of being in the big girl coop/run by themselves we loose the head hen of that flock..hawk attack...we secure the run and area from attacks from above. Now we have 5 birds and decided 6 months later to add 5 more birds. Everything is great no predator attacks all but 2 girls are laying(long story) they are one big happy flock everyone is getting along with each other WHEN I come home from lunch and find 1 dead hen and 1 injured hen. DOG ATTACH ..dug under the one weak spot in the fence. HERE'S THE QUESTION will a Rooster defend the flock by giving his all to save then or will we be just making fertilized egg and a bigger feed bill 🤔 ?

A rooster may try to defend your flock by giving his all, but then what? You have a dead rooster who was merely a speed bump
for the predator. It may give the hens time to get away, or it may not. And you still have a dead rooster. I would suggest putting an electric fence around your coop and run. @Howard E has an excellent article about electric fencing.

I’ve had an electric fence around one of my coops for a couple of years. This spring, my dog accidentally touched it with his nose. He let out a sound I’ve never heard before and ran as fast as he could to the house with his tail between his legs, yelping all the way. This summer we fenced around our other coop. I used a metal shovel to touch the fence and welded wire to make it “snap” to see if it was working. The dog heard that snap and once again took off for the house, even though he hadn’t gotten zapped. Now he won’t go within 30 yards if either coop.

Roosters are more like guard dogs in that they sound the alarm when they spot a predator so the gals have a chance to run/hide. They will fight an intruder, but it usually ends up being the act of a martyr as dog > rooster and will most likely kill or severely injure the roo (if it's a big/bold canine).

If you're looking at strictly defense, then spot check your coop (sounds like you've already made improvements), add deterrents for predators such as motion activated lights and find out where the dang dogs are coming from! If you have a neighbor who's pooches are poaching on your land then you need to have a talk with the owners and let them know further deaths in your flock will need to be compensated.

In my second attempt to raising birds(chickens) for eggs the security issue changed. I now have a 4 foot high fence ( they can't fly much higher/heavy), and an electric wire about 8-10 inches off the ground and another around the top, about 6-8 inches down.
The charger is solar and is for a 10 mile fence. My whole fenced in area is 300 feet. So double with the hot wire. I touched it one day unintentional, "OWCH"! More of a burn and stimulate. I'm hoping this keeps anything out.
I don't have to keep cleaning the driveway and small deck from pooh!

Have a talk with the neighbors about the dogs. Stating your aggravations as to replace your birds. Stating the monetary value (2-3 times actual), plus the aggravation of loss.

will a Rooster defend the flock by giving his all to save then or will we be just making fertilized egg and a bigger feed bill 🤔 ?

Some will defend but in my experience most will not. I've experienced two dog attacks. Lost five chickens in one, eight in the other. Both times the rooster was unharmed. I got electric netting. No more losses to any ground based predator. I did lose one to a hawk, another one to an owl. The rooster was still unharmed.

Back
Top Bottom