To Run Or Not To Run, That Is The Question

Going Guinea

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 24, 2013
Leesburg, Alabama
My father and I are in the planning process of building a guinea coop for 8 keets arriving next spring. The design has been figured out, plans drawn, and materials being purchased. Then comes the big question, to build a run or not?

The plan is to let them free range during the day and then coop them at night. We live in northeast Alabama where the temperature is fairly mild during the winter months. Rarely does it drop below freezing for any length of time, and snow fall is almost unheard of.

Part of me says that a run really isn't necessary, and then the analitical part of me starts running through the "what if" scenarios (vacations, inclimate weather, unforseen events, etc.) Space to add on a run is more of factor than the additional cost would be. It would be doable, just wouldn't leave a lot of room in between the coop and our garden spot.

What do you think? Have any of you built a coop without a run and wished you had later on?

Build an attached run. You never know when you will need to confine your birds for any length of time due to bad weather, a predator issue, an emergency, a vacation etc.

I too am new to guineas but 100% agree with PeepsCA. I went back-and-forth on whether to include a covered run with my coop and I'm so glad that I did. My boys and girls are 50 days old today and they have been experiencing the outdoors since week 3 and I believe their quality of life has increased significantly.

The benefits: dust baths, grit from the dirt is good for their diets, they are able to "stretch their wings", they get to see the other birds and animals that they will be experience once on free-range, our border collie gets to figure them out, they get fresher air than they get in the coop.

The downsides: you need to keep an eye on them as they acclimate to the new surroundings and predators are taking notes.

I think the benefits outweigh the downsides. Here's a couple of pictures that might help you makeup your mind and design. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom