To shift or not to shift

KiwiClucker

Chirping
Apr 26, 2020
I have a hen hatching eggs in a nesting box in main coop. One chick hatched yesterday morning (24 hrs ago) there’s been none since.
The other hens want to get in and lay their eggs in the same box! Standing all over the eggs and mother hen isn’t chasing them away. There’s three other nesting boxes but they want that one. Can I move mother hen now to her own space? I’ve shut the coop door at the moment so other hens can’t disturb her.

Hi thank you, I put some other eggs around other nesting spots. There’s another chick now, hoping more hatch today, it’s been three days and she’s not off the nest yet, not sure exactly how many eggs are under her cause I hadn’t managed to catch her off the nest long enough to count.

If your hen is in a place where the other hens may have been laying fresh eggs in her nest all this time, you have what is known as staggered batch ( not all eggs due to hatch at the same time). This can be disasterous.
you have one chick that is 3 days old? this chick must eat some chick starter and have some water to drink.
Does he have access to these things?

If your hen is in a place where the other hens may have been laying fresh eggs in her nest all this time, you have what is known as staggered batch ( not all eggs due to hatch at the same time). This can be disasterous.
you have one chick that is 3 days old? this chick must eat some chick starter and have some water to drink.
Does he have access to these things?
Yes I put water and starter next to them. They have popped out today and mother is eating with them. Yesterday and this morning I candled eggs and took out ten! that were no good. I think she’s got approx another eight in the nest. No more chicks have hatched yet. I’ll sneak in and candle some more tonight.

Ok yeah I have an incubator, if they hatch there, will I put the chicks straight in with mother? Will definitely get a pic of them altogether, I have one pic of the chicks, I checked them over yesterday.

Attachments

• A0784F0F-3EBB-4A9A-B129-D4152B8BD14A.jpeg
    A0784F0F-3EBB-4A9A-B129-D4152B8BD14A.jpeg
    430.5 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom