To sit or not to sit? UPDATE!!

jay1995

Songster
10 Years
Jan 27, 2009
St. Augustine, Florida
That is the question. I have a PQ silkie I got a while ago and she started laying about two months ago. I hatched her first four eggs with no problem. Well when she went to lay her first egg I thought she was going broody, well of course the next day all I found was an extra egg in the nest. This time I'm pretty sure that she went broody, because she was on them all day today and she would not stop bellowing at me when I got near her. So I quickly built a pen next to her original pen so she wouldn't really be away from her man. Well we finished right at night fall, and I went in and took her eggs out one at a time, put them in the new nest and finally picked her up and put her next to the nest. Well instead of sitting she went ate and drank and walked around the pen. I took her and put her on the nest and she went and tucked them up under. I left her for like five minutes, came back and she was off the nest laying in the bedding. So I picked her up again, five minutes later, she was off the nest perched sleeping. So I put her back on and she nestled down on the eggs, by then it was to late to check on her. So hopefully I wake up in the morning to a mean hen yelling at me when I get near her.

Last edited:
What a stinker! Good luck with the babies!
fl.gif

I woke up this morning and she is sitting on the eggs. The only thing that is weird is now she doesn't care if I touch her. Is this something I should be happy about, now I can candle the eggs easier when they are ready. Or is it something I should be worried about?

good for you and good luck. Maybe she decided that she owed it to you since you went to all the trouble of making her a new place
lol.png

Well today we are on day twenty. And I woke up to a little head poking out the top of his moms wing, she saw me and tucked him back away. But then I caught her picking her chest up off the nest and she was looking at her babies. I counted three, but I think there are more that I could not see. But I am wondering how I got a buff chick out of a black rooster and a lavender hen, all of my other hens are jet black, they are never with any of my buffs. I think my roo had some buff in his genetics maybe. I am very excited. I keep trying to get pics, but it is so hard when she sees me there.

Back
Top Bottom