To Strain or not to Strain

Does knowing the strain have any influence over whether of not you will purchase a bird?

• Yes

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

I have to agree with what you're trying to express, in that hatchery birds are usually not nearly as hardy, productive (in the long run), or as long lived as birds from a breeder.

Yes, most breeders will tell you the strain(s), but it is the buyer beware that you mentioned that prohibits me from entrusting a specific strain to be good. Questioning is important, but so is the physical bird. I’m not sure why you would say it is virtually impossible to select for quality, if you are purchasing a bird? If you understand the breed then you can highlight the faults and good within it’s type, no matter who breed it.​

When you go to someone's farm to pick up some birds, yes, you can see roughly how well it conforms to SOP, but you have to take the seller's word for how well it lays etc. Even if a hen shows signs of sexual maturity, it doesn't mean she's a good layer, or just because a cockerel looks meaty, doesn't mean he'll taste good, and I'm 'conducting a study' to see if there is or isn't anyway to ascertain broodiness via type, but probably not.

Another thing to consider is that most often strains are sorta family-based things, and when another breeder purchases a strain, it will usually be 'morphed' into his strain. When you get to know local breeders, you'll get to understand what there shortcomings and successes are. For example, there is a breeder around who specializes in Muscovies, and everyone knows he's the best person to get muscovies from, and there's a fellow who has some of the world's best Leghorns and you know to buy from him. There are also the 'avoidees', those less-reputable, some of them cheats. Some breeders are sort of competitors, and there strains are nearly identical. So my basic point in all this is try to get to know people and get feedback before you purchase strains.

Reputation is very important.

I can not drive to Minnesota to look at birds. I have to rely upon the breeder's reputation of I am going to buy birds from him.

There are no registration papers and no written pedigrees for purebred fowl. I have nothing to rely upon but the breeder's reputation to know if the birds I am buying are purebred or not, or how carefully they have been breed and how strict the culling has been.

So yes, the line of the birds is exceptionally important.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom