to turn or not to turn?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mrforkie, Jan 18, 2013.

1. mrforkie

mrforkie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2013
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Hey guys I have got a question, i am recieving eggs bu monday, i need to know wether or not i should turn the eggs? I know i should but im away at work 16 hours everyday for two weeks, should i turn them like crazy when i am home? Or am i better off just leaving them set? This is really worrying me because its my 1st attempt at incubating! Im usining the little giant w/out fan attacment if it any help. Thanks for all the help you guys (and gals!) Have given me

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You can still turn them twice, perhaps three times, in a 24 hour period. That's pretty essential. Two or three times in a 24 hour day is pretty good, certainly, better than not turning.

3. ccmarie

ccmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2008
    Yuma, Arizona
    For the first week, you want to make sure and turn them two or three times a day, if you can. After that, I still turn them once or twice a day, but it's not as important. With both of my batches, I ended up leaving them for two or three days in a row (in the second week), and I still had a great hatch rate.

4. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Are they shipped eggs or local? Local eggs you can turn everyday from day of set until lockdown 3 times a day would be good even 2 if thats all you can do. On shipped eggs Ive read that a lot of people that set shipped eggs dont start turning for any where from 3-5 days some people even go as far as 7-10 of no turning after setting the eggs. Myself included, I have shipped eggs on day13 of incubation and I didnt start turning until day 5. This allows the air cell to stabalize after a long probably not so gentle travel through the PO. I think If it were me whether shipped or local and after deciding on what day to start turning id still definitely turn 2-3 times a day until lockdown. But Im new to incubating so I hope more pros respond to you. And read up there is tons of info and words of wisdom here on BYC.

5. mrforkie

mrforkie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2013
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Thanks for the input everyone, id hate for my first hatch to be a disaster!

6. CluckAcres

CluckAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
    I would turn them as well even if you can only do it before work and after.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by