To Vaccinate or not to vaccinate? That is the Question!

Wait, wait. This is hard to notice because of the new layout update. But this thread is from September 2015???

Why did someone post in/necro a thread from 4 years ago?
@gregstickels?
I followed a notice sent to my email. Why is the date of the original question relevant - the subject remains.
One good thing is that you posted the link to the other thread. Thank you.

I followed a notice sent to my email from this web page. Why is the date of the original question relevant. The topic remains

For a few reasons;
One; To keep topics, information and requests for information timely and not dated
Two; To not spam some poor soul(s) with emails or notifications for something five years outdated to them
Three; To ensure that the most relevant topics are being discussed in a condensed format.
Four; It's just bad manners for an internet forum. It even has it's own name "Necroing" - bringing a thread back from the dead. It's not against the rules per say but it's generally frowned upon and it feels kind a janky because why are we talking about something from five years ago with people who aren't talking about it anymore? The original poster isn't even here to participate.
Five; There may well be (and in this case are!) active, updated, recent discussions on the same topic that duplicate threads could draw away from.

Given that you didn't participate in this thread prior to this year (AND that this thread has your first ever posts on the site?) I doubt you got an email linking you directly to this thread. If you did, and it's possible because we just had a site-wide update so things will go wrong, that sounds like a bug worth reporting to the staff.

I watched a video that had a vet talking about the vaccine for Marek's disease. He stated that this vaccine does not prevent infection, but that it eliminates symptoms, much like the pertussis (whooping cough) vaccine in humans. Therefore, the vaccinated chicken can have asymptomatic infection and spread the infection to your entire flock. You would never know that the vaccinated was ever infected. Blood tests from the other chickens could show that the virus came from the vaccine strain.

That is true and not true. The only Mareks vaccine available to mail order originates from turkeys. It does not prevent Mareks but strengthens the immune system if an infection does occur. It can not be passed on to other birds.

There is another vaccine only available to veterinarians that does show false positives. The vet is making all inclusive statements that are only partially accurate.

That is true and not true. The only Mareks vaccine available to mail order originates from turkeys. It does not prevent Mareks but strengthens the immune system if an infection does occur. It can not be passed on to other birds.

There is another vaccine only available to veterinarians that does show false positives. The vet is making all inclusive statements that are only partially accurate.
Are you stating with certainty that a vaccinated bird that has been infected by the virus cannot pass that highly communicable virus to another bird? I know the vaccine prevents the bird from showing symptoms but what magic powers prevents the virus from doing what the virus does.
Are you saying that the vaccine prevents the multiplication of the virus.

Are you stating with certainty that a vaccinated bird that has been infected by the virus cannot pass that highly communicable virus to another bird? I know the vaccine prevents the bird from showing symptoms but what magic powers prevents the virus from doing what the virus does.
Are you saying that the vaccine prevents the multiplication of the virus.

Sorry, mind was thinking faster than fingers. Now that I'm not at work i have time to go back to my reference.

The vaccines will not be the cause of any Mareks infection. For noncommercial birds the most common vaccine is derived from the Turkey Herpesvirus (MDV-3). By itself the chicken will not shed the virus and not infect the chicken or other chickens.

The Rispens vaccination that is only available to veterinarians can cause false positives during diagnostic testing in the chickens vaccinated with it but once again the vaccinated chicken will not shed the virus or become infected or infect other chickens because of being vaccinated.

There must be an active virus and infection.

Back
Top Bottom