1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

to vaccinate or not to vaccinate....that is the question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mener6896, Jan 8, 2011.

1. mener6896

mener6896 Songster

Apr 21, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I have a mixed flock of hatchery birds as well as birds I have hatched (about 40 total) I have had up to 65 birds, but over the last few years, have lost some to either animals or mysterious deaths. I assumed this was just part of chicken farming. However, I am now reading up on Marek's and vaccinations (especially after talking with a poultry vet) and I am concerned about whether or not I should vaccinate (for the record, I don't think I have had any cases of Marek). I sort of was opposed to it at first (to try for more "organic" chicken farming) but I am reconsidering. I know that several of my chicks when purchased were vaccinated, some were not, and the ones I hatched definitely were not. So my question is for the eggs that I hatch, should I try to vaccinate them? Where can vaccinations be purchased if I should? Should I have any future chicks from hatcheries be vaccinated (my thought, yes)? How will this impact them all living together?

The way my system has worked, is I keep them in a separate pen until they are old enough to go in with the big birds (around 8-12 weeks) then I just introduce them during a free range time.

If this post needs to be under a different category, feel free to move it

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Crowing Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: