To vaccinate or not???

Quote:
If they are properly vaccinated and quarantined, they will not contract Marek's and they will not transmit it. If you get them vaccinated, keep them under strict quarantine for at least 10 days. The vaccinated birds that still cantract Marek but just don't display symptoms are ones that the owner didn't bother to quarantine.

Quote:
If they are properly vaccinated and quarantined, they will not contract Marek's and they will not transmit it. If you get them vaccinated, keep them under strict quarantine for at least 10 days. The vaccinated birds that still cantract Marek but just don't display symptoms are ones that the owner didn't bother to quarantine.

ETA: Mareks is everywhere and is one of the most common poultry diseases in the world.

Thank you all for your posts. Yes, in fact my original flock had MG; not marek's. I was just so bummed about the MG that I thought maybe I'd do some preventive stuff where I could. The hatcheries offer to vaccinate for marek's so I was just wondering if I should do it. What I had on the property was MG, which was confirmed by necropsy through the dept. of ag. The DofAG said they also had MS, but that MS alone wasn't serious. I told them I wanted to do the right thing, and not spread disease, so they came back out and took the rest of the flock and put them down. They also left me with a small amount of disinefectant that they use and I will be hosing everything down and waiting at least a month before getting any more chickens on my property at all. They tell me that MG doesn't live more than a few days without a host, so I should be safe waiting a month.

I really appreciate your responses. I've also talked to some local farmers and local hatcheries (so lucky to live in GA where poulty is so popular!), and most recommend against vaccinating back yard flocks due to the fact that there's just not a big risk of exposure. I was probably just overthinking it because I'm so sad about my last batch.

I really appreciate you all! And Pat, please don't worry about the misinterpretation. I can't keep all this straight either!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom