To wash or not, to move or not?

Olivercoopandco

Hatching
Oct 9, 2023
Hi all, I’ve searched through previous posts and not seeing my exact situation.

This is my first broody hen doing her thing, I did not (amateur) take note of when I found her first sitting but I feel certain we are over our 21 day mark.

Yesterday I noticed a rotten smell and when I lifted her, I found a smashed egg with partially formed chick. I removed it from the nest and she went out to eat and drink and get a quick dust bath & then went right back to it.

This morning the nest still stinks to high heaven! I didn’t touch the other eggs or remove the bedding because it’s so close to day 21 (or over).

Is it too late to move the broody hen to her own area with these eggs do I try to wipe off eggs and candle? Is everything a loss??

are you thinking one of the other eggs is rotten? I’d say check that since it could explode or break and could kill the other eggs

are you thinking one of the other eggs is rotten? I’d say check that since it could explode or break and could kill the other eggs
I don’t think so but only based on the fact that none of the others seem to be cracked? I think maybe it still stinks because the other egg made such a mess everywhere

I’m worried that when these other eggs do hatch (Lord willing) that it could make them sick??

I should have moved her when I found her but I thought she had gotten killed my prey because I couldn’t find her anywhere and she’s under our shed!

Can you pull the hen off the nest temporarily and clean her underside but make sure she’s all dry when you’re done?

Back
Top Bottom