to wash or not to wash

I never keep my eggs in the refrigerator it isnt necessary as far as I am concerned. There were no refrigerators years ago when eggs were gathered they were just put in the pantry. So cross contimination in the fridge shouldnt be an issue.

I keep the girls nesting boxes spotless it gets a poo pick clean out everyday with new stuff put down and I use Stalosan F in their hen house, and run, which cuts down any chances of salmonella and ecoli.

I rarely get a dirty egg. Its going to be cooked anyway. But if I do have one that has a bit of dirt on it, I have cut up J cloths and use a small piece of that and throw it in the bin after use.

In Italy where my mum comes from they eat an egg raw if they find it still hot from the chicken laying it, and as my mum said to me non of her family ever got sick but they are all still going strong and all over 80 years old lol.......

Too much fussing in my opinion with eggs.

Here is a bit of information:

The risk of salmonella infection is usually only present in traditionally raised commercial hens. If one purchases ones eggs from healthy chickens, the risk of infection is dramatically reduced. It's important to note that only sick chickens lay salmonella-contaminated eggs. If you purchase high quality, cage-free, organically fed, chicken eggs, the risks are dramatically reduced as in using your own eggs from your own healthy chickens which you know are kept clean.

If one looks at studies which have been done to analyse the risks of contracting salmonella from raw eggs, it is surprising to find out how low this risk actually is. A study by the U.S. Department of Agriculture in 2002 (Risk Analysis April 2002 22(2):203-18) indicates that only 2.3 million, out of the 69 billion eggs produced annually, are contaminated with salmonella.

So this really means that only 0.003 % of eggs are infected. Viewed another way, only 1 in every 30,000 eggs is contaminated with salmonella, which shows how uncommon this problem actually is.

Based on those numbers, the average person would come across a contaminated egg only once in 42 years.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom