To wash or not to wash?

HeatherEmme

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 4, 2013
I heard washing the egg will remove the bloom and lessen the 'freshness'.

I would assume, though, that if you're going to be putting them in your fridge you'd want to wash them first, right?

I feel silly for the fact that this is not obvious to me when I feel it should be, but if you were wanting to sell your eggs, you'd wash them first right?

How long are they good when washed and stored in the fridge?

I heard washing the egg will remove the bloom and lessen the 'freshness'.

I would assume, though, that if you're going to be putting them in your fridge you'd want to wash them first, right?

I feel silly for the fact that this is not obvious to me when I feel it should be, but if you were wanting to sell your eggs, you'd wash them first right?

How long are they good when washed and stored in the fridge?
Boy have you opened a can of worms! Seems that every one has their opinion. There is an excellent blog about this on Community Chickens. Gives all the pros and con's.

Oh wow. I didn't realize it was such a touchy topic for people. I'm just very new to chicken raising and have no idea what I should do. We don't have friends who raise chickens either so no real life experience advice to be given from them.
hu.gif
I'll check out Community Chickens.

Oh wow. I didn't realize it was such a touchy topic for people. I'm just very new to chicken raising and have no idea what I should do. We don't have friends who raise chickens either so no real life experience advice to be given from them.
hu.gif
I'll check out Community Chickens.
Not touchy just invokes a lot of discussion. LOL
Let me know what you think of that article.

Ok..
hide.gif
good. I was worried I'd just unknowingly offended a ton of people LOL I thought the site was wonderful...tons of great info.Thanks so much! They even have a pretty nifty Facebook page too!

Ok..
hide.gif
good. I was worried I'd just unknowingly offended a ton of people LOL I thought the site was wonderful...tons of great info.Thanks so much! They even have a pretty nifty Facebook page too!
Asking about wash or not is a lot like asking if you should wear brown or black shoes. Or what wine goes better with fish. Why ask every one knows it is white wine!!! LOL
Scroll down blog on the right to RICH'S LIFE CHANGING DEVICE that article is about me and my girls and invention.

Last edited:
Great article!! Very creative!!

I wonder, though, because I too hate changing water 3x a day when chicks get shavings in there, how does one teach their chicken to use the water nipples?

Great article!! Very creative!!

I wonder, though, because I too hate changing water 3x a day when chicks get shavings in there, how does one teach their chicken to use the water nipples?
There is no need to teach them anything. Once you are set up remove other source of water and in most cases they are using them in 15 or 20 min.

Back
Top Bottom