To whoever asked if BR's ever went broody...

Farm Frenzy

Songster
12 Years
Dec 16, 2008
Oak Hill, Florida
The answer is YES!!! I forget who asked the question, but it was a while ago. no one really knew the answer, well I just had one go broody about 4 days ago. What a pain she is. So that now makes 7 broodies. I have 2 in a cage to get them to lay again, and the rest are sitting on eggs. 2 months ago, I was wishing for at least one to go, then WAM...careful what you wish for
hmm.png

This is good to know ! I asked this question about a month ago. This now give me hope, I have 7 BR hens, they are still young only about 13 months or so. So maybe in the future I will be this LUCKY !!!

Yes definately. I onlt have 2 BR I got last year as pullets. One has gone broody one me twice now,. Once last year and once this spring. I had to aggressively throw her off the nests and finally turn them over so she had nowhere to go. Still, they are really cool hens and lay well, forage well (they are free range), etc. I might even let Ms. Broody have some babies next year!

i have 2 brs that are 2 years old last month and have never gone broody on me yet we have rooster now so we will see i would love for my buff brahma to go broody though since we got a rooster now i would love to have a few chicks running around

We have a broody Baird Rock. Having never dealt with a broody hen, or any hens for that matter, is there anything we need to do for her? like put food or water in the coop?

I currently have 2 Barred Rocks that are broody. They are so cute too. My DH thinks they're just faking it because they don't fuss at me or try to bite me when I ask them to stand so I can remove any exta eggs that were laid in their nests. I get gentle clucks from them and they put down their heads so I can give them a scratch. I think they'll be wonderful mama's.
love.gif

We're working on building the big coop and then this current coop will be retro fitted as a broody and nursery coop.
9897_dscf1964.jpg

This one in the bucket nest is setting on 5 eggs.

9897_dscf1965.jpg

This one in the cat litter box nest is setting on 3 eggs. It was 6 but she sometimes gets confused which nest she's supposed to be setting and I have to move her back. I just checked on them and I think she ate 3 of them. Probably not viable anymore.
idunno.gif
Not the ideal situation but the best I can do until the new coop gets built.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom