to wiggle or not to wiggle ???

Crazy4Chicks

Songster
12 Years
Nov 20, 2007
Glendale, AZ
I have duck eggs on day 12 - and I have been using a water wiggler , but I just went to turn the kids and saw the temp was reading 104 - so I turned them and turned the temp down - but I also took the probe out of wiggler to see if my temps are going to be any different.

what should I expect the temps to be? I am using the LG still air bator -

are the wigglers really that important ? I know they are to tell me what the inside temp of the egg is but do I really need it?

I guess i am looking for the pros and cons of using the wiggler

Julie

ok all you hatch crazy folks - lets hear those pros and cons
cool.png

Julie

I use a wiggler with a Brinsea spot temp. I've read both pros and cons on this subject and want to hear more too. I purchased a Hovabator Genesis and am waiting on it. I've had really really bad hatch luck lately and I am wondering if part of the problem is the temps and the wiggler reading. Thus the incubator with presets.

Anybody have pros and cons on the wiggler?

Last edited:
People use wigglers because the internal temperature of the egg is what matters.

Still air incubators in particular, cannot tell you this. Even forced air models only get close (you still have to average the air temp although the control is much tighter.

So, the likes of Hovabator, etc, tell you to adjust to a higher temp at the top of the eggs, and their calibrations mean that, under ideal conditions, the eggs will be fine.

Unfortunately, ideal isn't easy to achieve.

Water wigglers work differently. They have a thermal mass close to that of the egg, and are held at the same level. What they do is average out the air temps, and give you a very good idea of the temperature as the egg actually experiences it. If your wiggler temp is consistently high or low, you can make small adjustments to bring it back in line, confident that you are on the right track.

You do need to make sure the thermometer, or probe, inside the wiggler is accurate.

They really ought to be part of the standard equipment of an incubator, and there really are very few, if any, disadvantages.

Where do you put the wiggler? I try to keep it as close to the conditions of the eggs as possible-in my case that's in the carton. In my experience so far (which is very limited) I am thankful for the wiggler because my still air LG has such variance in temps. within the bator.

Thus the incubator with presets.

I'm reasonably confident that the dip-switch arrangement on the Genesis is an attempt by Hovabator to engineer out operator error.

They must get a shedload of complaints about temperature control in their products, many of which are due to people *fiddling* unnecessarily.

I happen to believe that they are building incubators down to a price, and are inherently *difficult*. Due in main to the fact that they demand too much in the way of ambient stability to ever help the less experienced.

Some here are advocates of the Hovas, and with good reason. Used as specified they work very well. But they don't accommodate casual use well.

The method of heating and temp. control is primitive, and no amount of *idiot-proofing* will change this.

On the plus side, they really are very cheap, and used correctly they do exactly what it says on the box.

A wiggler with a Brinsea Spot temp is an excellent combination. Just run the odd check to confirm the Spot check is accurate.​

Where do you put the wiggler?

lau.gif

Oh there are so many possible answers this
smile.png

Put it next to the eggs, and at the same level. You'll find that it holds the probe close to the centreline of the eggs, which is where you want it.​

Really dumb question on the wiggler subject.... How do you know if your temps are correct? What other thermometer would you use to check the temps. My wiggler always reads one temp. and the flukers always reads another obviously.

What would you use to measure the temp accurately to make sure the brinsea was working correctly?

I'm using an old LG and put the wiggler on the bottom of the wire in the center between the turner. The wiggler I am using is about an inch and a half round and about 4 inches long. Its a smaller one. Does the size of the wiggler matter?

Last edited:
They are all pretty much the same size. I simply stick mine on the turner with the eggs.

To check your Brinsea .....

There are several methods.

You can place a ball of modeling clay in your incubator. When it's up to temp check it with your Brinsea and a medical thermomete or two. They should be very close (like within about 0.2F of each other)

Do this two or three times to rule out reading errors and you then can be confident.

The better digital thermometers at Walmart are perfectly calibrated for incubator use. They respond very fast and are about 8 bucks ... get 2.

Back
Top Bottom