To Worm or Not to Worm-Need Advice

mylilchix

Songster
11 Years
Jun 11, 2008
Front Range, Colorado
About 3 weeks ago my egg production went from 10 eggs a day down to 2 or 3. I had a few better egg days here and there, but it's been terrible this last week. I've checked for mites and the girls look fine. I put a light in their coop and that's not helping. I have 1 y/o birds who are growing feathers after a rough roo. What I'm worried about are my girls who started laying in July and August and who've mysteriously stopped. Do you think I should worm them. I haven't seen any evidence of worms, but we have had a very wet summer. I'm wondering if they may have worms and that's why they aren't laying. What should I do?

Thanks, Sonja

I'm not sure, but I believe it's better to be safe than sorry. Worming is admittedly, very tough on their bodies, but if egg production is bad then it might be a good time to do that anyway, without the additional stress of laying. It might also be the change in season. Sometimes as the seasons shift my birds abruptly stop laying, too, then start up again. Whatever it is, I hope it's successfully diagnosed by more experienced BYC members! Good luck!

Thanks for your input. My original flock started laying last Novemeber, so I don't know what to expect when the colder months set in. They haven't been wormed yet, so I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt.

Sonja

I think your right. Even if you don't know what will happen once the colder months come around, you could worm them as a precaution while their laying has lapsed, so after the colder months you'll be able to successfully determine the definite cause of the lower egg production without gambling with your birds' health.

Honestly, I wouldn't worm. Everyone has always given me great advice on here, but when my hen got sick and subsequently died everyone said to worm her. As it turns out, she was sick due to GI issues and the necropsy indicated that she was completely worm free. I would have the chick's poop checked for worms before you introduce chemicals. If there is an underlying issue, you will just put them under way more stress for nothing by worming them. JMHO.

Back
Top Bottom