To Worm or Not To Worm?

lalalindsay

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2018
Northeastern Oklahoma
Maybe a weird question.... I don't believe mine have worms, no dirty eggs (other than from one nesting box where one misbehaving hen ALWAYS sits and poops) but I am SUPER paranoid about worms. Worms are a bizarre phobia of mine, lol. I do feed them pumpkin sometimes for this reason because I have heard it's a "natural de-wormer". Unless I have reason to believe there's an issue, is there any reason to get Wazine or another actual de-wormer? I would rather NOT unless I need to; however, the idea of worms really, really, genuinely freaks me out. Thanks in advance!

Worms are worse in warm moist climates.
All animals on pasture are likely to have a light load of worms which healthy chickens can handle.
If you are worried, have a fecal float test read to see if and what kinds of worms they have so you can choose the appropriate anthelmintic. Not all wormers work on all worms.
For instance, wazine is for roundworms. If they don't have roundworms, there is no reason to treat for them.

Last edited:
Worms are worse in warm moist climates.
All animals on pasture are likely to have a light load of worms which healthy chickens can handle.
If you are worried, have a fecal float test read to see if and what kinds of worms they have so you can choose the appropriate anthelmintic. Not all wormers work on all worms.
For instance, wazine is for roundworms. If the don't have roundworms, there is no reason to treat for them.
ex r.jpg

I like to use herbal wormers. Chemicals freak me out - don't like to use unless it is a do or die situation. We have 18 chickens that share a sizeable yard with goats. I don't worm regularly but keep some garlic bits in their water and ACV on occasion although I am going to start doing ACV regularly. I have a sick chicken right now that I am pretty certain has aspergillosis. If I had kept ACV in their water at all times she may not have gotten sick. But back to wormers - every time I have a sick one I fear it is worms but they always come up almost worm free. From my research, healthy chickens shouldn't need to be wormed all the time.

I was told 1 tsp/gal. I bet there many different opinions on this though... I plan to do some research to be sure before I start adding it regularly. And remember only put ACV in plastic water containers - it will corrode the metal ones.

I was told 1 tsp/gal. I bet there many different opinions on this though... I plan to do some research to be sure before I start adding it regularly. And remember only put ACV in plastic water containers - it will corrode the metal ones.
Thank you! I am definitely going to check this out... I love me some ACV.

I have had very good success with natural products. My goats were loaded with worms (they have feet that touch the ground too) and after treating with a natural wormer their fecal float came up clean. Natural remedies take time and patience and must be high quality to work. All of those things are rare in our society on many levels. Chickens have been around a lot longer than fenbendaziadiapramcrapitazole and self medicated with food (natural remedy) as do all animals except most of us.

Back
Top Bottom