1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

To worm or not to worm?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jdoane, Sep 22, 2013.

1. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    So I've read that pullets should be wormed a certain amount of time before laying. Would love to hear some pros and cons on this. And if recommending preventative worming please also let me know which wormer you recommend. I am rather confused with the this wormer takes care of these worms and this takes care of that.

Thanks!

2. TheReadyBoys

TheReadyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    P.E.I, Canada
    Pumpkin seeds act as natural dewormers. Get a few pumpkins, cut them in half and you are set!

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Many people deworm as a precaution once or twice a year. Others prefer to only deworm once they see evidence of worms, but I've learned the hard way that just because you can't see anything in their droppings it doesn't mean there's nothing to worry about. Personally I prefer to do a precautionary deworm every 6 months.
    Valbazen is one of the highly recommended dewormers here. There is more info on that and yet another dewormer, Wazine, here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/401475/worming-with-valbazen

Another popular one is Safeguard, more on that here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/810587/help-dewormed-chickens-still-have-worms (post #3)

It is said that natural products such as DE, garlic, pumpkin seeds etc helps prevent and treat worms, but I'd recommend going to chemical route rather. You can read about one member's findings here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ts-is-not-coryza-or-crd-parasites-are-rampant

4. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    Thanks Sumi. Do you know what the youngest recommended age for worming would be. My pullets are only 7 weeks now and so probably not due to start laying for at least another 2 months. IF I worm them in about 6 weeks when they are 13 weeks would that be two young?

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    13 Weeks is good. I asked a vet friend of mine once when the earliest is that I can safely deworm my chicks and he recommended they be at least a month old.

6. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    Ok. Another question. Was looking online for Valbazen. Could only find it for goats and other animals. Is it the same thing for chickens?

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Valbazen cattle/sheep wormer can be used on chickens, it's the best wormer on the market. Administer using a syringe without a needle, orally undiluted to each chicken. Dosage is 1/2cc for standard size birds, 1/4cc for smaller birds. Repeat dosing again in 10 days. There's a 14 day withdrawal period after the last dosing.
    http://www.jefferspet.com/valbazen/camid/LIV/cp/16387/

8. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    Thanks dawg53. This probably sounds like a total newbie question but I am so....
    [​IMG]

Are there any pointers for opening a chickens beak and get the syringe in there?

9. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I usually have someone help me by holding the chicken, then you can try a couple different methods. You can grasp their wattles firmly and pull down gently until they open their beaks. What works better for me is wrapping my hand around the back of their head to hold it still and then using one finger to open the beak. No matter how you do it they aren't going to like it and they are going to fight at first. The important thing is that you want to administer the dewormer slowly and let them swallow, you don't want the aspirating it.

10. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    Sounds like fun!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by