Tobacco???

ThornyRidge

Songster
11 Years
Oct 28, 2008
I have read and heard about the use of dried tobacco lining or sprinkled in nest boxes to reduce lice/mites.. thinking I also read something about feeding some too.. I am interested in growing some tobacco as I like the look of the large dried leaves for my primitive decorating and am wondering if anyone has experience in using with their flocks for preventatives?? I just built a new 14X20 Taj Mahal coop for my mixed flock of 20 and they literally just got moved in this week.. It is a beautiful set up and I am wanting to keep it pristine and clean/pest free! Did a lot of research building it so want to keep it "new"..hahaha.. anyway I saw there are literally tons of tobacco varities so not sure where to even start.. advice?

as far as type of tobacco, you want one of the varieties for consumption (for their nicotine levels). there are decorative varieties that do not contain enough nicotine for what you want.

use it sparingly, to much of it is worse than using a commercially made poison. in moderation leaves works very well as wormer. a handful mixed in the bedding will help with lice and mites. several people use ground stalks for bedding, i havent tried it but hear it works well.

Back
Top Bottom