1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Today, I gave away some eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mum, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    For the first time this year, I had enough eggs to give some to my neighbour [​IMG]

I don't knock on their door, we have an arrangement where I put the eggs in a box, then in a bag and hang the bag from a fence post which adjoins our properties - that way I don't disturb them (nothing worse than someone knocking your door when you're busy!) and they will see them when they pull into their drive.

This is the first time they have been given any green eggs so it should be a double surprise for them [​IMG]

It's a really good feeling to have enough eggs to be able to give them away (by comparison to the winter months when it feels like I'll never see another fresh egg ever again!).

Now to go and find lots of egg recipes because I think I'm going to have a glut or two this year [​IMG]

Do you give eggs away? Who do you give them to? How often?

2. Barnmaradotte

Barnmaradotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    eugene
    Well, The neighbors behind us get a dozen a week. They are the people that get the first available eggs. The coop is against the fence between our house and theres. Then the Boys's babysitter gets the next dozen. Then Grandpa and Grandma. Any after that are up for grabs.

3. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    Like your thinking [​IMG]

4. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    We give them to family and friends if we are going to see them. Otherwise extras go to the food bank.

5. Delilah1337

Delilah1337 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Spirit Lake, Idaho
    I give eggs away all the time. I have my birds mainly for the companionship and the eggs are just an extra bonus. We have 7 hens who are laying pretty consistantly, even though its winter, so it is hard to keep up with all the eggs. I love being able to bring fresh eggs to my friends and family, they all enjoy it so much that I dont mind not getting money for them. We do have some friends who sell eggs and since their girls arent laying so well we occasionally pass on some of ours. We tried to just give the eggs to them but our friends insist on paying for them since they get money when they resell them.

6. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

The homeless shelter loves them, too.

7. Kittyf

Kittyf Chillin' With My Peeps

The family who lives on our property and helps us always gets the eggs, 1/2 dozen at a time, in cute cartons. I love collecting them, and I put them in the cartons, but we don't use too many eggs - maybe a once-a-week breakfast - so I give them away. The two little girls are always excited, and can identify which eggs come from which hen. They are a great help with the chickens, and their dad cleans the coop (bless him much!) and built the run, keeps everything neat and tidy, and really loves the chickens. If we get any extra eggs, they go to the neighbor next door.

8. GardenState38

GardenState38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    My 5 girls just started laying in December and I'm still in a kind of "hoarding" mode [​IMG]

It's all so new and exciting! I hope the thrill of going out to the coop and finding warm eggs in the nest box never wears off.

But I have given my next door neighbor eggs because they are nice and like my chickens.
    I know the other neighbors probably have a problem with my keeping hens, as they are generally busy-bodies who think they own the block...I should be giving them eggs, in an attempt to win them over, but I doubt it would work.

I've also brought some eggs into work. They make a nice gift for someone who has helped you out or gone above and beyond their job description.
    I have fun with different ways of packaging my egg giveaways. I've got a supply of break-apart egg cartons (6 and 6) and specially made labels, so that I can make up cute little 6-egg "gift packs".
    Other ways I've given them out: In cute little baskets or packed into chinese food-type containers (they sell decorative ones in craft stores) with shredded paper. I'm always on the lookout for cute little containers to use for giving out a few eggs.

9. kiwilady

kiwilady Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2011
    Our chickens have become my 14 yr old sons "project". We can't afford to give him pocket money so he cares for the chickens and we keep the bantam eggs and he's allowed to sell the hens eggs. He re-labels egg cartons (it's illegal here to sell eggs in someone else's branded carton) using stickers, and puts all his earnings in the bank. Says he's saving for the deposit on his first house!! He sells to family first then neighbours. He spends time each day in the coop, which we call Cluckingham Palace, lol, just sitting and chatting to the chooks, stroking them etc. Some of them come up and sit on his lap, they feed from his hands, and mob him when he arrives. I think they just think he's the Chief Chicken. He is developing a real passion and I'm very happy to have him involved with something outside and healthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by