Today I go to war!!!!!!!

Margot

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
Paw Paw, MI
Ive spent a couple days reading hundreds of threads on fighting mites and lice and on chickens. I have an arsenal of weapons that range from homemade natural cures to chemical weapons.

My question is once I go in country, between spraying dusting how can I make sure that I don't bring those ******* bugs back into my house?

here is my plan of attack. dust each chicken with de and sevin mixture. turn loose 2 free range. When entire coop and all nest boxes cleaned, spray from top to bottom with a homemade natural cure. let air dry then cover floor and roosting bars with de/sevin and fresh wood shavings. spray all outside runs with homemade natural here as well as all entrances and exits from the coop.repeat next weekend.

comments from any veterans to this war?

Last edited:
When I fought them, they did not follow me out. Sevin dust worked great. If you want to be sure, put your clothes in a bag and then burn them (or wash them). Burn the coop while you are at it and start anew.

I bought Hi-Yield Garden, Pet & Livestock Dust at Ace Hardware. The cannister was super reasonable price wise and it's safe for use on just about everything, whick is why I bought it, LOL. The main ingredient is Permethrin and it specifically lists that it can be used on Poultry.

I think you can overcome this problem. Burning down the coup is like throwing the baby out with the dirty bath water.. I would dust it down along wiith the birds and the run. I would also hit the local Farmers Association (In our area it's called the MFA) and ask them about a spray concentrate that you could use inside your coop that won't harm the birds (I imagine comercial poultry operations use something to spray down their facilities),saturate the inside and outside of your coup and let it cure before allowing the birds access.

Good luck getting your mite problem under control.

You want to keep everything as dry as possible. Dust your birds with sevin dust, repeat again in 7-10 days to kill nits hatched from eggs. Then dust inside the hen house. You can put a large handful of sevin dust at the entrance to the coop, then hit it full blast with a leaf blower. It'll look like a smoke bomb went off inside the coop. The dust will get into every crack and crevice and will take about 30-40 minutes to settle. Ensure vents are closed or covered and no chickens inside. Wear chicken clothes and mask. Avoid getting the dust in the chickens eyes and nostrils.

I bought Hi-Yield Garden, Pet & Livestock Dust at Ace Hardware. The cannister was super reasonable price wise and it's safe for use on just about everything, whick is why I bought it, LOL. The main ingredient is Permethrin and it specifically lists that it can be used on Poultry.

I think you can overcome this problem. Burning down the coup is like throwing the baby out with the dirty bath water.. I would dust it down along wiith the birds and the run. I would also hit the local Farmers Association (In our area it's called the MFA) and ask them about a spray concentrate that you could use inside your coop that won't harm the birds (I imagine comercial poultry operations use something to spray down their facilities),saturate the inside and outside of your coup and let it cure before allowing the birds access.

Burn down for what! I was kidding, I have a better solution. Grab a few of the individual mites and threaten them. They should pass the word along within 24 hours and they will be packed up and out of town.

Thanks for the quick replies! Luke 13V34, I got the joke! My "war" analgy was ment to be humorous too! The home made Sevin Bomb is a great idea.

I think we need to catch Luke and sprinkle pest dust on his tail feathers!

1f60f.png

Last edited:
All jokes aside, I once had fleas infest my house. By the time I had the problem under control I was ready to light a match, toss it and run! The solution for that was simple. Put Frontline Plus on all pets that were indoors. Wherever the dogs laid, they killed the flees. It took about a week to get under control but that did it.

There's a thought. Can you use Frontline spray around chickens?

..... My question is once I go in country.... how can I make sure that I don't bring those ******* bugs .... into my house?

comments from any veterans to this war?

Not to worry, most external chicken pest do not transfer to humans.

At ease troops.

Before you begin do what any good commander does. Send out a patrol and learn or know your enemy. All mites and lice are not created equal. Dusting your birds may not kill any red mites and these are some of the most destructive mites in Chicken Dom. Something that will kill a depluming mite may or may not kill chicken lice and keep them killed.

google
Gray mites
red mites
scaly leg mite
chicken mites
Northern Fowl mites
and chicken or fowl lice.
fowl ticks
stick tights and
depluming mites
etc.

Then apply the appropriate strategy to vanquish your enemy.

Carry on troops.

Last edited:

The afore mentioned Permethrin is a good premise spray. My bottle of 40% Permethrin concentrate says that its safe to use in milking parlors for fly control. Mix the Permethrin at dip strength and spray. or use less product mixed with about one gallon of used motor oil and liberally paint all the wood parts of your coop. Not only will this kill red mites it will prevent them from living in the cracks,
crannies and joints of your coop. An ounce of prevention is worth a gallon of cure when it comes to red mites.

They are all just waiting to suck your chickens' blood tonight and like Dracula they'll be safely asleep and out of sight by morning.

Back
Top Bottom