Today I joined the "Lost on to a hawk" club!! )=

baldie

Songster
11 Years
Sep 25, 2008
Douglas, MA
Today the hubby and I had came home and went in the house. All of a sudden I heard a ruckus, so I looked outside and I didn't see anything. I went about my business. A few minutes later we went down to fox the run, we have had a few escapees lately. When we got down there, this is what we saw.
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

16258_dsc05007.jpg

16258_dsc05010.jpg

That is what is left of my bantam barred cochin pullet, she would have been 1 year old in 6 days.
sad.png

Thanks. It is pretty crappy. BUT we did accomplish something. We fixed the run so there won't be any more escapees.

I guess being a bantam a hawk could have carried it off. Many predators don't leave a trace but feathers like fox, dogs, cats, and other 4 footed critters. I had some hawk losses and the body was there just partially eaten. I actually caught the hawk sitting on one of my banties, but it didn't take it away. So sorry for your loss and good luck in the future. My tom turkey is what it took to keep hawks away.

It was definitely a hawk, the one in the pic to be excact. I called a friend and he said that sometimes they will pick their feathers off right there where they catch it. She was small. All I can say is I never thought it would happen to me and it did. I always thought that the hawks were just looking. There were no escapee roosters to protect her, they were all locked in the run.
sad.png

Hi Baldie,
I am sorry to hear of your loss. I do know from experience what it feels like to lose your beloved chickens to hawks. We lost a white crested polish that way, about 2 weeks after we got her. She was only about 4 weeks old. We learned a very hard lesson.
You take care of yourself.

hugs.gif

Val

I lost a guinea to a hawk it was still sitting on it when my dad came home with my duck in the pen with them scared to death. My dad opened the pen and scared it off the duck ran to the garage and hid there for 2 weeks.

Thanks guys!!
hugs.gif
I just hope that people might learn from this that even if you don't think it will happen to you, maybe you should think again. If they are hanging around, it is not just to window shop!! They kept coming back four of them after the attack and it didn't matter that we were standing right there. They would land in the trees right next to us.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom