Today's temperature = # of eggs.

I have whined and whined about this...but I only have one hen that is laying...so I get only one egg a day, for a few days in a row and then nothing any of the other time.

We have 1 hen that doesn't seem to lay at all...the one that lays, one that is possibly too young (she is just starting to get her comb and wattles), and a mama hen that doesn't seem to plan to go back to laying...The chicks are 3 months old and still no eggs from mama again...Lol. She just recently stopped acting motherly towards the babies, but still sometimes I will go up and catch her sitting on 7 chicks some of which are larger than she herself is.

I am hoping that one day I will have enough eggs to feed our whole family...but that seems to be a far off hope...I have to wait a week to get enough eggs for an omelet.

Well... It use to be like that back in the 1990 but to me it might of seemed like that once I was still a kid... But for real, the past 2 winters have been rather mild! It's been nice I'm hoping this one is the same!

I have whined and whined about this...but I only have one hen that is laying...so I get only one egg a day, for a few days in a row and then nothing any of the other time.

We have 1 hen that doesn't seem to lay at all...the one that lays, one that is possibly too young (she is just starting to get her comb and wattles), and a mama hen that doesn't seem to plan to go back to laying...The chicks are 3 months old and still no eggs from mama again...Lol. She just recently stopped acting motherly towards the babies, but still sometimes I will go up and catch her sitting on 7 chicks some of which are larger than she herself is.

I am hoping that one day I will have enough eggs to feed our whole family...but that seems to be a far off hope...I have to wait a week to get enough eggs for an omelet.
Well just enjoy each one in the stage she is in now. Eggs are nice but their chicken personalities can be just as valuable! Here's to wishing you an early spring and lots of EGGS!
wee.gif

Well... It use to be like that back in the 1990 but to me it might of seemed like that once I was still a kid... But for real, the past 2 winters have been rather mild! It's been nice I'm hoping this one is the same!
Some days I really miss the snow (I lived in Alaska for 3 years) but other days when I see the temp reports from some of the folks up north I think how nice it is not to put on 3 layers just to step out the front door. However, I do have some sweaters that aren't getting out of the closet much these days. Supposed to be 60 here tomorrow.
sad.png

Bruce-----we got 11/16 today at 55 degrees----how's that theory coming?
wink.png

VERY WELL!
hit.gif

Over 32 F today, much warmer than yesterday and the girls only put out 3 eggs to yesterday's 5 yet again validating the theory!
That is one dozen in THREE DAYS from 12 girls (though only 11 may be laying).
And, based on the color, it is possible all 3 today came from the TWO Australorps, both of whom contributed yesterday.
Stupid, accurate theory anyway
barnie.gif

On the 'up' side, I was at Costco today and bought an electronic scale for $16 (on sale of course
wink.png
) so I can figure out where the eggs actually hit on the "official egg size" charts.

On the down side, it would appear that they are coming in smaller than I thought based on the 10 I have in the refrigerator. The largest two were 56 g (EE) which is barely Large in Canada and 1 g shy of Large in the USA. The smallest was 32 g (Cubalaya) and is PeeWee in Canada but doesn't even hit the chart in the USA (PeeWee is > 35 g). I even weighed them all together just in case the scale wasn't too accurate at very small weights but it totaled the same.

Bruce

On the 'up' side, I was at Costco today and bought an electronic scale for $16 (on sale of course
wink.png
) so I can figure out where the eggs actually hit on the "official egg size" charts.

On the down side, it would appear that they are coming in smaller than I thought based on the 10 I have in the refrigerator. The largest two were 56 g (EE) which is barely Large in Canada and 1 g shy of Large in the USA. The smallest was 32 g (Cubalaya) and is PeeWee in Canada but doesn't even hit the chart in the USA (PeeWee is > 35 g). I even weighed them all together just in case the scale wasn't too accurate at very small weights but it totaled the same.

Bruce
That's really interesting about the weights of eggs. My Canadian gals must know thier eggs have to be big up here, because (when I do get them...) they're huge! sometimes the egg carton can't close they are so big hahaha.... but I think i'd gladly exchange size for more eggs.I'm more like missnu01 having to wait a few days before I can do anything.
hit.gif

Right now its 43 and rainy... So far we got 4/5 today, our last girl keeps going in and out of the nesting box soooooooo we might have our first 5/5 day!!!

That's really interesting about the weights of eggs. My Canadian gals must know thier eggs have to be big up here, because (when I do get them...) they're huge! sometimes the egg carton can't close they are so big hahaha.... but I think i'd gladly exchange size for more eggs.I'm more like missnu01 having to wait a few days before I can do anything.
hit.gif

I get some of those massive "can't close the carton" (try putting them in pointy side down) ones as well. Will be very interested to see what they weigh next time I get one.

Since I'm (fortunately) not buying eggs at the store any more, I don't have a regular large egg to compare for size but it sure seemed like the big, but not huge, eggs were the same as store Large. I even kept the last of those around for a couple of weeks after the girls started laying just so I could compare. then I had to eat it because they don't last forever.

Right now its 43 and rainy... So far we got 4/5 today, our last girl keeps going in and out of the nesting box soooooooo we might have our first 5/5 day!!!

Good luck!

I am still at work so no idea how the girls did today. I need to weigh mine as well. Our Favs lay a smallish egg but we get some super jumbos out of the sex-links.

mid 30's today - 5 eggs.
Might put a damper on the theory, though the temp wasn't much different. I can still hold out.

Actually, since the January thaw is supposed to happen Friday, I hope my theory is shot full of holes, the girls haven't been putting out the eggs like they should and it would just be that many fewer eggs! I have co-workers just itching for eggs!

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom