Today's temperature = # of eggs.

Well, since my first post on this thread it been everything from -18 to +1 and the most i've been getting is two eggs a day out of 10 hens.
(sometimes only 1) I blame the lack of sunlight personally.... it's overcast here most of the time. Rarely is the sun really shinning. I'm seriously toying with the idea of putting a light in the coop to see if that will increase laying. Does anyone else put on a light?

We had one last year and they layed well all winter. We haven't had one this year and most days we still are around 50% or better, except for the last two weeks or so. They have been a little slower lately but still getting enough for breakfast so I don't complain.

So far today we have 8/16 and I am counting 16 instead of 17 as I picked up one girl today and came away with a hand full of feathers. She suddenly decided to start molting - crazy chicken - the coldest time of year and you are shedding feathers!
th.gif
we're supposed to be around 50 degrees today.

12 F today and the girls managed to squeak out 5 eggs. 4 by 9 AM, the 5th by 12:30. One of the Faverolles is sitting on an empty nest again today. VERY testy when I took her off at roost time. I would threaten her with the pot but she would know I was lying
wink.png

Bruce

12 F today and the girls managed to squeak out 5 eggs. 4 by 9 AM, the 5th by 12:30. One of the Faverolles is sitting on an empty nest again today. VERY testy when I took her off at roost time. I would threaten her with the pot but she would know I was lying
wink.png

Bruce
Okay we ended up with 9. So I was one off on my prediction. Got 3/3 from the Favs today. So far no broodies in the bunch. Believe it or not last year I had a sex-link go broody and she helped with my spring hatch. I certainly didn't expect it from them.

Supposed to be about the same temp tomorrow and storms rolling in early Wed. AM so we will see what the week holds.

Here's my summary for the month so far from our 6 hens:

Jan 1 - 17F - 2 eggs
Jan 2 - 29F - 2 eggs
Jan 3 - 26F - 5 eggs
Jan 4 - 32F - 4 eggs
Jan 5 - 34F - 3 eggs
Jan 6 - 33F - 3 eggs
Jan 7 - 38F - 5 eggs

Not too sure there's much of a pattern here based on temps lol.

Last edited:
We had one last year and they layed well all winter. We haven't had one this year and most days we still are around 50% or better, except for the last two weeks or so. They have been a little slower lately but still getting enough for breakfast so I don't complain.

So far today we have 8/16 and I am counting 16 instead of 17 as I picked up one girl today and came away with a hand full of feathers. She suddenly decided to start molting - crazy chicken - the coldest time of year and you are shedding feathers!
th.gif
we're supposed to be around 50 degrees today.
One of mine too! I was worried at first because was thinking, "why would a chicken start (what looks like a hard molt) in the middle of Dec! In the snow!" crazy little thing....

One of mine too! I was worried at first because was thinking, "why would a chicken start (what looks like a hard molt) in the middle of Dec! In the snow!" crazy little thing....
Who knows what kicks them off. Crazy birds.

Bruce-----we got 11/16 today at 55 degrees----how's that theory coming?
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom