Today's temperature = # of eggs.

Hello all! Our temps have varied recently from frosty 32 to sunny 65 to rainy and today 65 and we have been getting between 5 to 7 eggs daily from our 14 hens. They are still relatively young they will be a year old in March so hopefully by then all of our hens will be laying. They have been going through molting and being broody. My Rhode Island was the first one to go broody but only lasted about 3 weeks, my lil Silkie Bantam was broody for about 5 weeks.

Our best layers so far have been our EE chickens, we have 2 EE-Amerancanas, 2 Production Reds, 2 Astralorps, 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 2 Light Brahmas, 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Welsummer, 1 Black Silkie Bantam, and 1 Belgium D'Uccle Mille Fleur Rooster.

I'm also happy to report that 2 of our chickens escaped being attacked by a hawk. The first time was one of our EE gals I saw it and me and dogs ran out just as the hawk took off. Fortunately we have lots of bushes and she ran under one. She thankfully sustained only a minor injury of feathers pulled out between her wings, no blood, but I sprayed her with blue coat and she was fine. She even kept laying eggs! The second hawk attack was really something, it tried to get one of our Silver Laced Wyandottes. Again I ran out with my dogs but I could hardly believe my eyes when 4 ravens/crows were actually attacking the hawk even after it started to fly away! My poor SLW is thankfully ok but she walks with a limp and the day after she was attacked she gave us an egg! Needless to say our chickens are very wary and thankfully my lil Belgium D'Uccle Mille Fleur Rooster does a great job of looking out for them.

We have 56 layers including barred rocks, golden comets, RIR, ISA browns, and easter eggers. Here in Mid-Michigan it "warmed up" to about 14 degrees today.

My egg count continues to decline. The lowest number ever was today with only 25 eggs. We haven't let them out of the coop for three days, so I'm sure that has been a factor too.

Hi, I am in New Jersey. I have a mixed flock. 19 of them are 5 months old and 18 of them are 4 months old for a total of 37 hens. I don't think
the younger bunch are laying yet. It was high of 23 today and I collected 13 eggs. I know my red productions and my rhode island reds are troopers.
They lay almost every day. My buffs and sussex hens lay as well, but not regularly.

The coldest day we've had was -18 (before windchill), got 3 eggs that day from 9 layers, but about 3 days later (go figure, based on how long it takes to make an egg), no eggs, I wouldn't be coughing up extra protein to make an egg, either, lol... No light... Have done a little better as the days have gotten somewhat warmer (18 degrees yesterday), and got 5 eggs from those 9 layers... some of those have not laid since their late fall molt, either..

Today's high was in the 30's with sunny skies. I had no eggs this morning when I went to feed them before going to work. When I got home, I went to feed and water them and was very surprised to see 3 eggs. I get a brown egg every day from my RIR and one from one of my Cochin bantams. But today I got a green egg. The problem is I dont have any EE's only a buff Orpington and my Silkie. I know it is too big for my Silkie. I looked up the details of the Orp and they lay a light brown egg. My total hens is 5 and I got 3 eggs.
idunno.gif

I am stumped. Any ideas.

Thanks.

Last edited:
It was about 12 degrees today and I got 5 eggs from 8 hens. One of my leghorns has gone a little crazy the last couple of days and appears to have laid an egg from her perch first thing in the morning. So I've opened up the coop to a cracked frozen egg on the floor of the coop two mornings in a row. Luckily the other girls have not taken notice and tried to eat it. She's about 2 years old. Anyone else ever had an issue like this before?

I have been averaging 5 eggs a day from 10 hens with temps 14 to 23...please hurry up spring...I hate the cold!

Back
Top Bottom