Toe Coming Off!!!! Please Help

katdam

Chirping
9 Years
May 19, 2010
texas
12 week old.... toe looks to be almost completely severed from the foot....lots of blood in the coop...luckily the sand stopped the bleeding....some tissue is missing due to the others picking i'm sure....what do i clean it with...do i wrap it up...go ahead and cut it off? i have already seperated him and he's resting.....

How much is it being held on by? If its just a a small peice I say snip it off , clean it well and put some antibiotic ointment (with out pain killers in it) on it.. I wouldnt wrap it just keep the bird inside for a few days until it scabs over well.. Keep an eye out for inflammation or redness, if you notice these things then i would do a sea salt soakl a couple times a day until its gone.... I have a hen missing a toe and it doesnt slow her down one bit

I say wrap it just to keep the other chick from pecking at it for a few days. Also, incase the cutting off causes more bleeding, keeping it wraped for a day or two, i think is a good idea. INjuries DO benefit from air, so airing it out isn't a bad idea either... I usually wrap injuries at least overnight.

chickensducks&agoose :

I say wrap it just to keep the other chick from pecking at it for a few days. Also, incase the cutting off causes more bleeding, keeping it wraped for a day or two, i think is a good idea. INjuries DO benefit from air, so airing it out isn't a bad idea either... I usually wrap injuries at least overnight.

Good point.. I dont tend to wrap just for the sake of circulation, and since ive never been able to keep a wrap on one of my chickens.. LOL ...​

Hi - I have only just joined, so I hope its OK to post.

If anything is "hanging off" then probably best cut it away. I had a small chick damaged all its toes, and I snipped them with some nail nippers, but maybe some very sharp secateurs or a very sharp strong knife on a cutting board.

Wash and disinfect the wound, and dry then put on some antiseptic powder. Leave it alone in a dark place to recover, making sure it drinks water from time to time. I would put some homeopathic Arnica 30c and Aconite 30c in the water, and a few drops of Bach's Rescue Remedy.

If when you put it back with the others there is any pecking then Stockholm tar on the wound should stop any more pecking, and help protect and disinfect the wound.

all the best
Sue

ok ..i'm going to have to cut it off....it's almost completey off anyway....the injury is in between the toenail and the first joint so he should do ok....this is my first injury and i'm scared....he's much calmer than i am right now...i'm going to do the powder and put the stuff in the water.....ok i think i'm calming down now....thanks sooooo much

Quote:
Well, I make sure that when I go to bed, the injury is wrapped... in the morning, it usually isn't though...
tongue.png
My goose is a houdini! He gets out of anything. he tore off his toenail the other day, and blood was just everywhere... i cleaned it and wrapped it, then put a sock over the wrap, then taped the sock to his leg, and put him in his dark goosehouse... in the morning, the entire bandage was on the floor, and I had to wrestle him to get he last bit of tape off his leg... It was so silly!

Back
Top Bottom