Toe nail fell off, and toe fungal infection on opp. foot?

jadie

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 9, 2012
My 5/6 year old hen had bumblefoot which is healing up greatly since monday. On monday i noticed she had a hard small dark growth on the bottom of her toe near the skin. I cut it off before i could take a photo. the other nail started to look like it is growing something and has a very small bulge on it.
Today when i went to check her after they were scratching around outside I noticed her toe nail was missing and very bloody. But the strange this is, this was on her good foot, that I checked the other day and it looked fine.
What could be going on here, why, how should I help her?
Here are some photos of the bad foot after I removed the growth and applied blue kot, and of the injured toe "nail" today.

This is my first flock and I have just 3 girls left. I feel so bad and im at a loss for what is going on or what is the best next action to take. Any input, info, advice, or ideas is greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

• 20180605_164518.jpg
    20180605_164518.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180605_164525.jpg
    20180605_164525.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20180605_164555.jpg
    20180605_164555.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20180608_121603.jpg
    20180608_121603.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20180608_121608.jpg
    20180608_121608.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 7
I am in Western New York and we have pretty cold winters so its possible. I do think one of my hens had some frostbite on her comb a couple winters back. However theses toes and the nail that fell off was not black at all, it was a healthy color. the toe that look black were on a different foot and that is mostly from the blue kot I applied. Could this still be frostbite?
Will it grow back?
Is it normal for it to fall off from frostbite if its appears healthy and into the summer?

I am in Western New York and we have pretty cold winters so its possible. I do think one of my hens had some frostbite on her comb a couple winters back. However theses toes and the nail that fell off was not black at all, it was a healthy color. the toe that look black were on a different foot and that is mostly from the blue kot I applied. Could this still be frostbite?
Will it grow back?
Is it normal for it to fall off from frostbite if its appears healthy and into the summer?
Frostbite and it effects takes months to totally be done. The tissue dies, than it becomes atrophied, than the parts fall of, than the remaining stub must heal. It's a much longer process when it involves bones. Your bird will be fine. I generally don't do anything for them as far as the healing process.

Frostbite and it effects takes months to totally be done. The tissue dies, than it becomes atrophied, than the parts fall of, than the remaining stub must heal. It's a much longer process when it involves bones. Your bird will be fine. I generally don't do anything for them as far as the healing process.
Okay Thanks ill just keep it clean and hopefully comfortable for her during the process and fingers crossed her other foot heals up, still trying to figure out that issue or possible fungal infection.

It gets hard to follow when you talk about the same thing in different threads, is all.
In the other thread, Jadie said that this toe/foot had been completely fine the day before, and then in the morning she found the bird with a bloody toe, and missing the nail.
It seems to me that a toe with frostbite severe enough to cause tissue death, wouldn’t look normal just before the toenail just falls off.... not to mention, dead tissue doesn’t bleed. As a matter of fact, when removing dead tissue, doctors have to cut back to a surface that bleeds before they know they’ve reached a point where the wound will heal.

Given the whole history.... I’m still thinking the toenail got stuck somewhere, and ended up getting traumatically pulled out.

Back
Top Bottom