toes bent???????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by emit, May 12, 2009.

1. emit

emit Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2009
    Charleston WV
    I have a check that has its toes or claws on both feet bent. They are 3 1/2 weeks old. I just noticed this. How do I straighten them out? I picked it up looked an moved them out straight an it did not seem to mind so what to do? IT dose not seem to slow this ball of energy down any. You know it is the best looking on that I have out of the 9 that hatched. [​IMG]

2. Lizzy_Lane_Farm

Lizzy_Lane_Farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Sorry to hear that. I read some where that you can straighten toes out on day old chicks but by 31/2 weeks I don't think it can be. What I read was to straighten the toes and tape them down to something like a double layer of tape with the sticky sided stuck together. So it would be the non sticky tape, toes and tape holding the toes straight.

Hope someone with more experience can answer this better than I can.

It it's fine otherwise I would just leave it alone.

Hope this helps

~Karyn

3. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    That happened to my Cornish X chicks at about the same age; up until then, their feet had been fine.

I did some Googling and came up with info on a vitamin deficiency. I bought some Poly-vi-sol (without iron) and gave the chicks a drop or two on their beaks twice a day, as well as putting a dropperful in their gallon waterer each time I changed their water. After a few days of that they were fine and I couldn't tell which one had had curled toes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by