toes webbed...

Cooperkeeper

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 9, 2011
My chicks arrived a week ago today, ordered from My Pet Chicken. All are doing great, but I have noticed one little girl has webbing between the middle and outside toes that keeps the two toes quite close together. She seems to be getting along fine. I am just wondering if this could cause a problem with balance/roosting or scratching down the road.

I will try to get a pic..though not sure I have enough posts here to load it yet.

Anyone else had anything like this?

I've never had a chick with webbing before. How severe is the webbing? is it restricting their walking at all?

Post some pictures of what it looks like if you can

all chicks have webbing unless there is a breed I have never had before is missing it. A lot of people will use a toe punch and punch the web to mark the chicks to keep records of which hen and rooster they are out of. Better than bands as it is permanent.

My first attempt to post pics.

This is the chick I first posted about. I believe she is one of my Silver Laced Wyandottes and 10 days old.
85924_img_1900.jpg

85924_img_1899.jpg

85924_img_1898.jpg

I would clean it good with a antiseptic. I use a pair of good small nail trimming scissors. Cut it on both sides but don't get to close to the toes. It usually does't bleed very bad but would be a good ideal to have some blood stopper powder on hand. Get it at the drug or co-op store. It may not be something you want to do. Some may be against it. I have never lost any chickens from doing it. I was raised on a farm and got to tag around with the vet for years when he came out and he taught me how to do a bunch of stuff. He thought it was a good way to mark chickens so I used the method for a while until I discovered a chick toe punch. It isn't as bad as doing a bumble foot surgery

Ouch! I personally would not clip it unless it was done by the vet. Things could go wrong and I'm sure it would be painful.

If it were me, I'd leave the chick alone. I'm sure it would grow up fine with the webbed feet. Just my personal opinion.

ohhhh my please dont clip it. That would hurt soooooo bad! If your chick is walking fine and it dosnt seem to have trouble walking, just leave it.

Back
Top Bottom