together but apart

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dabb, Dec 4, 2011.

1. dabb

dabb Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    I have 6 red sex link hens about 7 1/2 months old. Reading this forum I considered myself lucky that my girls got along. Well I counted my blessings too soon I think. The last few weeks have been a challenge. The one hen that is being picked on does everything in her power to stay out of trouble. I thought they'd work it out. I tried separating the "bullies" for a a few days-didn't work. I went out to the coop on Saturday she ran right to me as if to say HELP! I noticed she had dried blood on her neck and her neck feathers were raised. I put her in the basement and gave her lots to eat (they don't let her eat when they are hence she misses out on treats). Tonight I was cleaning the nest boxes I realized the air space above isn't used for anything so I asked my hubby to help me put in a secure area for my little hen. Now shes in with the rest of the flock but they can't hurt her. She can heal and eat but is still part of the group. Is my thinking correct? She also has vent gleet which I'm treating with yogurt. I believe this is what started all of this. She was getting better and even started laying again until they really started getting brutal with her. Thanks for for your thoughts! ---Deb

2. geekgurl

geekgurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Sounds like you're doing what needs to be done. Whenever you see blood being drawn from fighting, it's a good thing to separate until they are healed. Once she's got the vent gleet taken care of, she can go back with the rest. When I introduced a single hen to my group, I did the same thing...they could see her, but could not get to her to peck at her. When I put them all together finally, there was some fighting, but nothing the new hen couldn't handle.
    Good luck!
    Melissa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by