told myself I wouldn't add up what I spent on eggs...

Christie Rhae

Songster
9 Years
Jul 5, 2010
Big Island, Hawaii
I started out this summer determined to begin a small flock of marans and ameraucanas. I knew I would have to use shipped eggs because no one here in Hawaii has these breeds that I want. I knew hatch rates are low on shipped eggs. And I swore I was not even gonna keep track of what I spent. Cuz this is a hobby right? lol
For some crazy reason I decided to add it up today. It didn't help that I used paypal and all the figures were right there.... eek!
Ok here it goes... true confessions...
I have spent 669.00 on eggs and the shipping for them. There I said it!!!
ep.gif

That amount is for 160 eggs. And guess how many chicks I have so far.... 5
idunno.gif
Ok in all fairness that includes 50 eggs that have future hatch dates. So I will most likely have more chicks.
But you know what... that is nothing compared to what my husband spends on his boat. Lol that is what I am telling myself. heehee

I feel the pain
lol.png
lol.png
I also have spent well a grand total of 524.56 and have 4 chicks to show for it, not to mention $ for incubators etc. am not EVEN gonna go there. And like you my husband bought a bale stacker, tarps for hay etc , I have only spent 4% of what he has spent totally the last 3 months so I refuse to feel guilty at my $131.25 chicks!!!
Ayda

I added mine up and its about 222$ plus a new incubator for 156$. The most I spent was on peachicks marans eggs I only have one boy left. Everyone else was eaten by coons. I've been getting pretty good hatches lately. Well good hatches for me at least 1/2 will hatch. Plus I've been watching auctions closely as to get the best price. I too am doing Marans. In my incubators right now I have mottled duccles (20$ for 19 eggs that icludes shipping) It was only supposed to be for 6+) I have BCM and Blue Marans I got from crfarm 12 BCM 25$ Blue12 for 25$ plus shipping and got lots of extras, Then my last purchase which was 12 Blue and Black Marans from ohioruss for 25$ shipping included. So if you watch closely you can get good deals. But seeing that u are in Hawaii shipping is probably a little more.
Michele

I have spent 77 dollars on my 6 khaki campbell eggs and my new hovabator. Im hopeing atleasted a few hatch.

yea they are expensive but all good things cost money...once your flock is established and growing and laying you will get more eggs than you know what to do with...so it cost now but will be well worth it in the future...

Oh gosh, I am not gonna add up the amount I spent on incubators, hatchers, brooders...
I just keep thinking... If I give up now I still wont have my little starter flock. Gotta keep going!

[[[[....... chicks I have so far.... 5 .....]]]]]]

All you need is one pair. A hen can lay 300 eggs in a year and if they aren't being shipped, you should be able to hatch 295 of those. That should be a nice size starter flock for you.

(Yikes. My sympathy. That's a lot of money in eggs that never hatched.)

Quote:
It will be worth the money spent if I can get a few lil chickens.
Here is the problem, I have one wheaten ameraucana hen, one blue marans (too young to tell sex) and 3 black ameraucana (too young to sex)... so if I had 5 of one kind then I would be set. Dang it... Seems like my source for b/b/s ameraucana travel a lot better than the wheatens so I may have to go with those instead of my first choice of wheatens.
I have marans due to hatch soon so maybe I will get enough of them.
Boy I sure can go on and on... if I talk like this at work everyone thinks I am crazy! I own and work in my salon... no one can picture me with all these chickens. lol!

Back
Top Bottom