tom fighting

TimTurkey

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 29, 2011
Ashland, OR
My toms, at 7 weeks, are fighting - a lot. And brutally. They have been fighting for a couple of weeks now. As they get bigger and stronger, they are damaging each other. Today, one tom got his scalp half torn off! Is this normal?

My turkeys are on pasture, with lots of food, water and forage.

Quote:
take the hurt one out and treat, but this is normal behavior they are finding out who is the top cock so to speak.

I isolated the injured turkey. After cleaning the wound and removing the necrotic tissue, he has a 1"x1/2" piece of his scalp missing. It looks like it will heal well.

Will I have to wait until it is completely healed, after scab has dropped off, before I can reintroduce him to the flock?

We had a chicken with a neck injury leaving about a 1/2 by 1 inch opening. I washed it with diluted iodine and then gooped it with bacatracin 2-3-times a day to keep it moist. A bandage didn't work because of the feathers. LOL The cut healed in about 10 days. The location of the cut on the turkey may require washing out dirt every day. Just thought I'd share what worked for me. GL

I spent most of the day with my injured turkey, bonding. His scalp oozed a clear, foamy liquid into the void over his scull. This has now solidified and will, I believe, form a scab. He acts like nothing has happened, other than loosing his flock
sad.png

My turkeys fight when the breeding season is in full swing. Right now I do not have any fights. I found the heal pretty good. I keep a Tom pen with 40 plus adult toms.

Back
Top Bottom