Tom or female

Porpie Pie

Songster
May 5, 2021
Just got this turkey I'd like to go back and get another but I'd like to know if it's a Tom or a female first so I can have one if each. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220813_180650.jpg
    20220813_180650.jpg
    739 KB · Views: 14
I’m thinking female... with a wattle like that, you would think it would also have a large snood if it were a tom. With that thinking, it also doesn’t appear to have a beard, so I’m thinking female. How does it act?

I have no idea. 2 ppl said they think Tom but I'd like to know how to tell the difference so when I go back I can get one of a different sex
It needs to be at least 3 months old to judge from pictures. It is better if it is 6 months old.

To judge from pictures, 3 different pictures are helpful. One full frontal photo. One full side view and one from behind and above that clearly shows the back of the neck and top of the head.

Toms will be bigger than hens. They will have heavier legs. Their caruncles will be bigger than those of a young hen.

A tom's snood will be able to swell and elongate well past the end of his beak. When it retracts, it can retract into a cone shape. His head will become completely bald except for a few hairs.

Hens will have a "mohawk" of feathers up the back of the neck and on top of their head.

It needs to be at least 3 months old to judge from pictures. It is better if it is 6 months old.

To judge from pictures, 3 different pictures are helpful. One full frontal photo. One full side view and one from behind and above that clearly shows the back of the neck and top of the head.

Toms will be bigger than hens. They will have heavier legs. Their caruncles will be bigger than those of a young hen.

A tom's snood will be able to swell and elongate well past the end of his beak. When it retracts, it can retract into a cone shape. His head will become completely bald except for a few hairs.

Hens will have a "mohawk" of feathers up the back of the neck and on top of their head.
It's just got a little bump of a snood. Has some feather all over its head not a Mohawk. It's legs do look kind if chunky. I wondered if turkeys get scaly leg mites like chickens can cause they're so chucky. Is it possible it's a young tom turkey?

I’m thinking female... with a wattle like that, you would think it would also have a large snood if it were a tom. With that thinking, it also doesn’t appear to have a beard, so I’m thinking female. How does it act?
It's very sweet and gentle. We've only had it a couple hrs but it just walks around so far probably investigating. Drops it's wings a lot.

Back
Top Bottom