Tom or Hen

Team Fluffy Puffy

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 8, 2011
Hale Center
I am not sure on the gender of this turkey. It's 3 1/2 months old.
Anyone Know?

90889_dsc03685.jpg

90889_dsc03687.jpg

90889_dsc03692.jpg

90889_dsc03691.jpg

90889_dsc03689.jpg

90889_dsc03688.jpg

90889_dsc03680.jpg

Last edited:
I have no idea if it's a tom or hen, what I want to know is what breed it is! My mother in law gave us 2 turkeys in May that she got from "a guy down the street" and we have no clue what they are. One is white with dirty gray/black markings, but the other looks just like yours. We've got the same problem of not knowing sex, although the brown one has always exhibited what we considered (as first time poultry keepers) male behaviour and the white one has usually acted submissive/female, with only occasional male displays. I even caught them doing something that I assumed was a failed attempt at sex which wound up with Whitey actually rolling on her side and Tom finally giving up and stomping off. He kept sliding off her back, and the guineas who think the turkeys are their parents didn't help the matter because they apparently thought it was just a game of leap-frog and didn't want to be left out
lol.png
It was the funniest thing I ever saw and made me think of parents with toddlers trying to "get it on" and having the kids bust into the bedroom. They grew at different rates, but now seem almost equal, so size hasn't helped sex them, and neither has the snood and wattles. One guy in our family tries to be expert in everything and says that only males "gobble gobble" and ladies "putt putt" to get them interested. When I make the "putt putt" noise, it sure gets Tom interested, but both turkeys gobble, strut, and display. I think only the white one putts though...

good luck sexing your turkey!

Quote:
Team Fluffy Puffy - Your inbox is full. I need your name so I can get your eggs in the mail today. DH will be here in just a little bit to pick up the box for mailing. I'll put your screen name on it if he gets here before I hear from you.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom