TOM or HEN

How old were they in the pics? The tips look light to me but if those were juvenile feathers you can't go by that... my apologies for the wrong info.

You have a cross gender bird. I have found them a few times processing chickens - but not in a turkey yet. It happens! That bird is 100% female on the outside! Your offspring ought to be interesting!!!

You have a cross gender bird. I have found them a few times processing chickens - but not in a turkey yet. It happens! That bird is 100% female on the outside! Your offspring ought to be interesting!!!

The top pic was definately a hen, the bottom I couldn't see the breast feathers that well (my eyes aren't as good as they used to be) but if it has black tips it is a tom.

I have a Bourban Red as well, and I thought mine was a hen up until recently when it started to grow a longer snood, and its voice was similar to our Narragansett toms. I had also noticed that he didn't have feathers growing up the back of his neck like my Blue Palm hen who was older, but smaller which in itself also screamed that mine was a tom. He was born in late July-early August I'm guessing and didn't show that he was a boy until about 3 weeks ago. Whereas our Narragansett's showed what they were by early fall and they were born in May! I'm wondering if it has something to do with the time of year and breeding season that causes them to mature at different rates. Or perhaps, the Narragansett's just matured faster than normal. I dunno, but by those pictures I would have also guessed hen. XD

yes it is definatly a tom, i have caught him displaying a few times, he breeds with the hens and about half the eggs are fertile although the ones i put in the bator did not show any growth after two weeks so ill have to try some more in a month or so , ill also try and let the hens hatch some, he keeps his snood all sucked in unless he is dislplaying but then it gets real long and his head turns purple, he doesnt do it bery often cause my little game rooster is the boss and the turkey doesnt do it when he is around, he does have black tips on his feathers also. i will take some more recent pics. they were hatched last july and those pics were taken the day i posted this post orriginally

Back
Top Bottom