Tom or hen?

Jkioneil

Songster
13 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Oregon
What gender is this turkey? It is a little over 2 months. Or is it still too soon to tell. It puffs up a lot but is a sweetheart. It is our alarm system if the chickens escape from the coop. i thought maybe a Tom because it puffs up and attacks new objects and sound the alarm at passing squirrels. also i thought it's snood seemed longer than my previous hens. I don't recall her attacking anything or puffing up too much... what do ya'll think,

I also think tom. Im a newbie to turkeys though I have 2 8 week old BBWs and I believe I have a tom and a hen and yours looks like the one of mine I believe to be a tom. Though yours looks older than mine who are 2 months old.

I say Tom too... not because of any one factor, but all combined. He has a long snood... in the first picture it looks like it's already draping towards one side of the beak. He also has large caruncles on his neck. Those are way too large for a hen at a couple months if you ask me and he has a large, draping dewlap (males have larger dewlaps than females) and my hens have never had a dewlap that big at a couple months. And the large, thick legs. And I've had really sweet toms and hens. Sometimes they take turns. My 3 mo old jake/tom is my biggest mush right now, always wanting to take a nap in my lap and be pet! :)

That's a Tom, I'm SURE of it... A handsome one too
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom