Tom Turkey losing balance!!!

Bryntee

Songster
7 Years
Jun 27, 2013
Wisconsin
Not sure what's going on! My turkey can hardly stand up. He seems to not have his balance at all. :( I'm wondering if him and the rooster I lost a couple weeks ago got into the hens food??? I'm not sure. I separated him from the rest of the coop and took everything out of that side so he didn't fall on anything. I checked him over and he doesn't have any injuries, aside from some broken feathers from falling.

He could have botulism from eating moldy feed, but usually they become paralysed, especially in the neck. He also could have sustained a head injury. This time of year my first thought would be encephalitis caused by mosquitos. Not much you can do for any of them unfortunately.

Turkey update... he seems to be doing just fine. Sometimes he is a little dizzy it seems but not as bad as that one time. Could he just be too heavy? He is enormous! I'm wondering if he is just overweight and can't steady himself sometimes.

That's possible. He also could have a bad heart from his weight and gets dizzy when first trying to stand. Sounds like he's a broad breasted variety, they aren't destined for long lives. How much do you guess he weighs out of curiosity?

Well of course I jinxed it. Just found him like this. :( he is most likely over 40lbs. I can't pick him up hardly and the 40lb feed bags are heavy-ish for me too lol.

My guess would be a combination of weight and his heart. Many times their legs can't hold them up. Poor guy. Do you plan to eat him?

Oh poor guy :( no he wasn't meant to eat. He's a pet. I spose there's probably no way to put him on some kind of diet? I'm not sure he'd taste very good since he's a year and half. :/

He's already a good age for his variety, so it's impressive that he's still going. You can try limiting his food to see if it helps.

Back
Top Bottom