Tom turning against me

BOrion

Songster
9 Years
Mar 31, 2012
My Rio Grande tom is turning very mean, but really only against me. He eats from my hand and has always been very tame. Recently, he comes after me, pecks me and will actually chase me. We seem to be in a war and I'm not sure how to stop his behavior. I've tried spraying him with water and even dumping the water bucket on him to get him to stop. I really don't want to get rid of him and I don't eat meat. Any ideas? Thanks

I read this and tried it with my rooster and it seemed to help some. If you can catch him and lay him on his side and hold him there for a minute or two until he tucks his head and becomes submissive to you he should learn his place with you it's kind of what they do with the hens I hope this makes since good luck try it a few times I hope it helps.

I once had a big Muscovy gander that attacked everybody from behind, clawing and wing-slapping. I don't know how many shirts and pants he managed to tear with his claws. But I do eat meat... if you catch my drift.

My Rio Grande tom is turning very mean, but really only against me. He eats from my hand and has always been very tame. Recently, he comes after me, pecks me and will actually chase me. We seem to be in a war and I'm not sure how to stop his behavior. I've tried spraying him with water and even dumping the water bucket on him to get him to stop. I really don't want to get rid of him and I don't eat meat. Any ideas? Thanks
Your tom has lost respect for you and is trying to move up the pecking order. Under no circumstances should you ever allow the tom to "chase you". Turn on him and make him move away from you. Carry a broom and use it to push him away from you. You can not allow the pecking either. Spraying water is not likely to stop him as many turkeys learn to enjoy a water spray especially during hot weather.

Immediately stop feeding him from your hand. He is taking this as a sign of submission and it may be causing his aggression by him telling you in the only way that he knows how that he wants fed more.

Some people will pick up an aggressive tom and hold him until he stops resisting.

Me and my tom were close as he was growing up but off and on he goes in these phases and it usually happens when the ladies are ready to be bred, it's just him going into protection mode and showing dominance. I just carry a stick not to hit him with but just to keep a gap between us. I also avoid wearing certain colors like reds and blues because sometimes they'll take it as another male tom trying to butt in.

Quite right in avoiding wearing red. I read that during breeding season some hunters who can't afford expensive decoys make them come within range with a Coke can impaled on a stick. Toms do get aggressive when their testosterone rages through their veins. The last wild Tom I shot charged a "Funky Chicken," a decoy that resembles a rickety, consumptive jake but with vivid mating reds and blues, gobbling furiously and knocking it down ferociously before being calmed down considerably by a 2-oz. load of Number 6 shot.

I feel you! I have a year old turkey who is suuuper aggressive but only towards me! He loves my boyfriend and is fine when my family goes into his pen but even the sight of me makes him very upset and jump. If I go in his pen he attacks the crap out of me. I have no clue what to do but he's not being killed or re homed I love this guy!

Thanks all. I have held my Tom down before, didn't seem to do much good but might be time to try again. I will stop feeding him from my hand and get that broom out. I'm open to all suggestions except killing him.

Don't chase or hit him, just use something to create a gap. Don't wear red or blue. Never turn your back on the tom. Don't fear just continue doing what ya gotta do.

Back
Top Bottom