Tom vs poults

Maeser

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 12, 2012
Our four Turkey poults are about 4 weeks old and are being co parented by two turkey hens. They were hatched outside but we moved them to an outdoor pen when they were a couple of days old. The pen is about 5' x 8'. The tom desperately wants into the pen, to breed hens, of course. At what point would it be fairly safe to allow him into the pen? He is the daddy of the poults.

I would let him in and see. I haven't had any toms be aggressive towards poults, and my oldest will look after them.

Our four Turkey poults are about 4 weeks old and are being co parented by two turkey hens. They were hatched outside but we moved them to an outdoor pen when they were a couple of days old. The pen is about 5' x 8'. The tom desperately wants into the pen, to breed hens, of course. At what point would it be fairly safe to allow him into the pen? He is the daddy of the poults.

I would not let the tom in the pen with them. When they can be let out of the pen with their "mothers" will be soon enough to let the tom get acquainted. Even at that stage it is wise to watch him carefully. Toms can be very good with poults but they can also change their attitude very quickly. Just because a tom was fine with the poults yesterday does not mean he won't kill them tomorrow.

Good luck.

I let my toms in with my poults and have never had a problem yet ? They seem to look after them and are very curious. There are no hens in my poult enclosure.

I would not do this until the poults have some size to them. Mine are big enough now that I let them out in the yard to range when I am supervising.

20170518_195644.jpg

20170518_200613.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom