Tom with swollen head.... what to do?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by FlaRocky, Feb 15, 2013.

1. FlaRocky

FlaRocky Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my toms has a very swollen head. New to turkeys so I don't know what to treat...

Thank-you,

Maye

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Can you give us more details? Runny nose? Condition of eyes? Discharge from eyes? Foul Odor? Lethargic? Droopy wing? Appetite? Do you have a pic that you can post? How long has his head been swollen? Is this a new bird? Where did you get him from? Is he with other animals? Has he been separated from the rest of the flock?

3. FlaRocky

Sorry,
    Yes separated. I have had them for months. 4 toms. Turned out to free range locked up at night. Head is swollen to 2X the norm. Eating well and just a little drooped. Turned him out in another paddock by himself to get some sun.

Maye

4. FlaRocky

Took a couple of photos, not that great. I found this today am. I work 3 12 hour shifts and was on call all three. So had someone feeding for me.
    [​IMG]

5. FlaRocky

Will only let me post one at a time....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  6. FlaRocky

#3 shot...

[​IMG]

7. De Wet

De Wet Chillin' With My Peeps

looks like a hangover to me:lau

8. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
  9. poultrylady

poultrylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Delano, Tn.
    Give him a shot of Tylan 200 Since he is a large tom I would give him a dose of at least 3cc, repeat in a few days if it has not gone down. I have over 30 big turkeys and I have to deal with this every once in a while, the Tylan works every time.

10. FlaRocky

Thank-you all for your help. I work long hours so just got a chance to check for answers. Will let you know in a few days how he is doing...

Thank You Again,

Maye

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by