Tomaru Longcrowers...

Well, to say I'm disappointed is an understatement.

DH and I built my Longcrowers their own little coop/run and we moved them in 12 days ago. And...no eggs since. They had slowed down a bit a week or two before the move, but after they moved in, nothing. It's the weirdest thing. I am beginning to wonder if it's just the species, as they seem perfectly normal otherwise.

Any thoughts?

I should add that the first test hatch was a very good one, and it looks like #2 hatch will be as well!

Last edited:
th.gif
Wynette, you've got crowing Tomarus now and no videos yet? Shame on you!
big_smile.png

As for egg laying - How different is their new situation? It can indeed take quite a while. The key with mine on moving is that the new environment must not be too different in appearance (amount of grass, size of area, etc) and MUST have nesting boxes within sight, and of the same type they had last time. (amount of light, size, bedding used)

Wynette, I hatched out 3 Tomarus last Sunday...thank you very much...they will go nicely with the ones I hatched from wclawrence...but I will keep some pure...

Quote:
AWESOME! Wish you'd gotten more...but I'm glad you have the three!

Illia - just saw your post (sorry!). Yes, their new are is completely different; they were in a breeder cage during the evenings with a roost and traditional nestbox; then, during the day, I moved them to an unused horse stall that is 12' x 12' - their nest box there was just a round rubber feed pan with shavings in it. They were comfortable laying in either that, or the nest box in the breeder cage. They don't seem upset in the least in their new pen, yet still nada on eggs. Maybe they are a breed that only lays for a few months a year? I am just not sure, as I am having such a difficult time finding information on them.

ETA - on videos - YES! Shameful of me to not have them by now, I know! I really do need to get some!

Last edited:
So those of you with Tomaru, about how long would you say the crow is? I got some Denezli eggs on eBay from a lady in Fl, but out of 7 eggs I just have 2 developing. I was thinking about ordering some eggs from McCallum in TX, but they are possibly the same bloodlines and on their site they said they have 5 second crows. I am thinking about ordering Tomaru from Sandhill, but how are the crows? Or do any of you have hatching eggs for sale?

Some birds just have better crows than others, even in the same line. I have/had birds that are not even pure longcrower, with better crows than some pure longcrowers I have had.... it just depends. I only have one grown rooster right now and his best ones are only about 8 or 9 seconds.
I still consider 5 seconds a longcrower, just not the best.
Just like a RIR may not have exact right color, he is still a RIR. Just not the best.

Well, I finally got some updated pics of my Longcrowers, but I have to say...these pics will show you my lack of picture taking ability! Anyway, here they are:

Tomarucock6-15-11.jpg

Tomarucockandpullet6-15-11.jpg

The cockerel's getting more & more handsome. I can't wait to see him in another year...he'll be prettier when he's more filled out, I think, and I do believe he's got some growing to do. At least I hope so! They seem to grow slowly.

I just put up an auction for eggs to ship next week - my test hatches that I shipped out went well, not awesome, as I'd hoped, but pretty good! I'm hoping that now that they are settled into their new coop/run, they'll be more at peace and will be breeding more! The gals are laying well - much better than I'd hoped for. I'm getting probably 10 eggs a week from the two. I thought I'd only be getting 3 per bird per week, maybe 4. So, I'm quite pleased with the egg laying! I am still working on getting a good crow video!

Thanks, wclawrence - do you think the male will fill out more in the chest? I think he's beautiful, but I do wish his chest was a bit more filled out. If not, it's just fine of course - was just wondering. Do you feel yours tend to grow slowly? This guy had what I thought was a molt at about 8 months - he's still not quite done, and his tail feathers had fallen out & then regrew to be longer & more full - I was worried, thinking he was pulling out his tail feathers from rubbing on the pen wire or something ! HA! I obviously do not know much on this breed but am learning a bit all the time.

Back
Top Bottom