Tomato Gardeners...HELP!

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by ChicknLittleLexi, May 12, 2011.

1. ChicknLittleLexi

ChicknLittleLexi Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    Sonora, CA
    So, I received some totem hybrid tomato plants for Mother's Day. The lady at the nursery I visited afterwards told me not to plant them until after next week (that's supposedly when frost is no longer a danger). When I received this plant it was already pretty well established, with many green tomatoes on it. I have left it in the biodegradable pot it came in and been watering it every morning, putting it outside in full sunlight (on top of the chicken coop, otherwise the dog will eat it, he's an idiot) and taking it in at night when it gets cold.

I have noticed that, progressively, the plant is wilting. It looks AWFUL, the leaves are almost soggy they're so wilted, the blossoms are barely open and are drooping, and I worry that I may have killed this plant. Did I mention I've only had it since Mother's Day?

Here is a picture of the poor soul...I cry every single time I look at it (I'm pregnant though, this might not be helping.)

[​IMG]

Sigh. Someone, please help!!!! I know it's a bad picture, cell phone camera is all I've currently got [​IMG]

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Any change in color on the leaves?

3. ChicknLittleLexi

Mar 24, 2011
    Sonora, CA
    A couple of the leaves, especially toward the bottom, are turning yellow with brown dots. There aren't any concentric rings in the dots that I notice yet, they're still small but big enough I guess to say no, no concentric rings.

4. CarolynF

CarolynF Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Puget Sound
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry you're having trouble. My guess is that it's getting either too much or too little water, the symptoms are often the same, at least with other plants. I'd get that baby into the ground asap! If you're concerned with cold nights, pop a cardboard box over it, it doesn't need much. Better yet, invest in a "Water Wall". They work wonderfully for creating a greenhouse-like environment for young vegetables. We've used them successfully for several years. Good luck.

p.s. not a bad picture actually.

5. ChicknLittleLexi

Mar 24, 2011
    Sonora, CA
    Quote:Thank you!!! I will be getting it into a much bigger pot with nice fresh soil and plant food, etc tomorrow the second the nursery opens! I feel bad for this poor little wilted thing dying under my watch [​IMG]

And thanks! I have to say I'm a techie farmer wannabe, I took the picture with my iPhone haha [​IMG]

6. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    I think you're watering it too much. With most plants, including tomatoes, you want the soil to get dry (not desert sand dry - just dry) before you water it again. Not only is it better for the plant, but constantly wet soil means more bacteria, molds, etc can grow. Also, it washes the nutrients out!

I'd put some perlite in the soil too (or put some pebbles/river rock/gravel in the bottom of the pot to encourage good draining.

7. Titania

Titania Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    ditto! Too much water is my guess. Also, how much sun is it getting (meaning full sun exposure)? pick the sunniest spot in the yard. Morning sun only or indirect sun is no good for tomatoes.
    You're doing fine...we ALL learn the hard way![​IMG]

8. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have suggestion. The plant looks to be too big for the pot and it might be that it needs to be planted. My mom got me lavender for valentine's day and it died a week later because the roots had taken up almost all the space in the pot.

9. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I think your plant may be toast. Too much water results in "dampening off". Basicly the plant rots from too much water. Put it in a new pot, cut off any bad looking parts of the plant, and hope!

10. country lady

country lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Tennessee
    I agree with the other posters that the plant needs to be in the ground. If I think of it I often put epsom salts or blood meal in the bottom of the hole. I have that miserable clay soil here. CarolynF is right, wall-o-waters are wonderful. I have to use them when I plant zucchini or the bugs kill the plants. Last year I didn't get one zucchini. Of course, I have to hand pollinate to get zucchini.

Edited to add: I use row covers after I remove the wall-o-waters to keep the bugs at bay.

Last edited: May 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by