Tomato Horn Worms in December!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rebbetzin, Dec 30, 2009.

1. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    I found these on my Morning glory vines!

[​IMG]

I figured that the brown color is from them eating old dried leaves.

The chickens liked them!!

2. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Wow! I hope that finding them this early doesnt mean that there will be a plague of them this spring/summer. [​IMG]

3. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    can you feed them to your flock?

4. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

The brown was more likely turning into the cocoon. They are beautiful moths. Some people suggest that you grow a few extra tomato plants just for the spinx moth to live on.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    They are could be a Tobacco Hornworm or a Tomato Hornworm. I cant tell to well by the picture but they might be Tobacco Hornworms.
    The tobacco hornworm (7 diagonal white stripes and, most commonly, a red horn)
    and the tomato hornworm ("V" shaped markings with a horn that is often black). The
    adult of the tobacco Hornworm is the Sphinx moth. The Five-spotted Hawk Moth is the adult of the tomato hornworm.

If the brown ones were eating the "old dried leaves" I would say that they were taking on the color of the food it was eating much like camouflage...

Chris

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  6. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Quote:We did have a plague of grubs this year!! They killed off a few of my best plants!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by