Tomato leaves?

My Black Australorps are very fond of tomato leaves - they will not stuff themselves silly (that is reserved for radish leaves and yellow crookedneck squash leaves, both of which they will run up one another's backs to get more of...
D.gif
), but they do like them...and the little bugs that dwell upon them too, I suspect!

My tomato plants are recovering from the chickens being in the garden area, they will stick their heads through the fence to get what they can of them, along with peppers, anything in the garden seems to make them happy, along with flower beds and berry plants.

My chickens have ate tomato plant leaves, but not very much. they are still alive, and now making the best eggs. They left our pepper plants alone. They eat the tomatoes that are going bad too. After the hurricane I had to rip out all my tomato plants, then my brussel sprouts began to sprout but I let the chickens have at it.

I know that Tomato leaves are bad for chickens if they eat them, but I was wondering how bad, (what happens if they eat them) , how much they can eat before it gets dangerous, and if they will eat them on their own if they find them. Thx for the help
big_smile.png
Maby you can tell your Peers your experience with this tomatoe experiment. And we will learn, because I haven't seen a post saying that their chickens died from eating tomato Greens and I always have quite a few of them come harvest time so I too want a definitive answer, thanks for the post and please keep me informed, this is the way.

I used to grow my eggplants in containers in the chicken yard, but up high enough the birds couldn’t get to them. Eggplant is also a “nightshade”. We had a late afternoon thunderstorm roll through two years ago that knocked over three huge eggplant planters. My birds couldn’t be called smart by even the most doting keepers and they stripped those plants bare before I knew they were down (next morning, egg gathering). They must taste great to them as mine are basically free ranged in the summer and they had plenty of options including layer pellets. Over the next three days, I found two pullets dead in the coop. I’m not saying it was the eggplant, but all of mine are “home hatched” and death and disease is (aside from those two) extremely uncommon in my flock. I no longer chance it. They get plenty of garden leftovers, but eggplant, tomato and potato plants go in the compost, not in the chicken yard.

Back
Top Bottom