Tomato Plants

Pheonix

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 11, 2010
San Jose, Ca
Ok, so how bad are tomato plant for the chickens? Every day for the last few weeks the girls have been heading straight for the tomato plant when I let them out and have been downing as much as they can. I don't really care if the eat it, I've gotten all I wanted off of it, but is it bad for them? I do have a few with loose stools, would this be the cause? Most are only 5 months and I do have a couple Silkies that might be prone to poisoning. I also have a 1 year old RIR though that is fine and has no problems and eats the most.

So just how bad is the tomato plant leaves?

They are classified as poisonous, and chickens will certainly eat things they should not. I wouldn't have worried about a few, but if they are gulping them down, I'd probably remove the plants from their area.

If tomatoes are poisonous for chickens mine should all be dead. they eat more tomatoes this year (and last) then we did. they get them green, red, any way they can. I need to get them fenced off real good or we don't get any with out pecks in them.

The fruit is fine.
It is the leaves that contain solanaceous alkaloids that can be toxic.
I think it must take a big dose to hurt a chicken.
I think tomatoes are far less toxic than other solanaceous plants like tobacco or nightshade.

Back
Top Bottom