Tomato question

Quote:
This reminds me of a story.

My cousins said tomatoes didn't do well down there once and they didn't understand how i could get so many tomatoes up here. Well... turns out that they and every one of their city neighbors sprayed bug killer everywhere and basically have sterilized the homes in the community....it was one of thoes, oh look mountains and valleys, let's build huge homes on them types of places.

I've never done the beating thing and yet I've rarely had a flower not become a tomato. Must be infested with little pollinators here
lol.png
I don't think I could bring myself to cut off half the flowers either. The tomato plants grow for two months in the house then another 3 outside, quickly pop out some flowers and the tomatoes get to be harvested for about a month tops before they get frozen and die. I am envious of all those tomato plant pictures where the plants are as tall as people!

Oh, and cross pollination basically allows the fruit to mature and form. If the tomato isn't pollinated, the flower is not fertile and doesn't "hatch" into a tomato so to say.

If you are suffering blossom end rot, there are things you can do at the end of this season to prevent it next year.

Bury crushed egg shells into the soil where you have your garden at the end of the season, and turn them into the soil to break down over winter. They will raise the calcium level in you soil and prevent the rot next year. You will see egg shell bits in the soil next year, but they are still amending the soil.

My feeling from looking at those leaves is that it is a salt burn. Where are you gardening? Are you using water that has passed through a water softner?

Rufus

chickmomma wrote:
Big Momma
What you have is blossom end rot or bottom rot. It is a calcium deficiency in the soil. Most places that sell vege plants will sell a spray that you can use this season. Have a soil test done and then use lime that has calcium this fall to help prevent it next season. Here is a link that might help. http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3117.html
Domromer
I
would guess tomato blight on those leaves. Tomatoes do like a lot of water. When you water try to water at the base of the plant and not wet the leaves. This will help to prevent this.

i believe she's correct

For the tomatoes with bottom end rot put about a half of a pound coffee can of pelletized lime (not baseball field lime) around the bottom of each plant. It should cure your problem before the unripe one get ripe. As for the ones that are turning yellow, more water. However you need to be watering them ONLY at the bottom. The only water that should ever get on the leaves ois rain water. If you do have tomatoe blite this will help to not spread the problem. About a gallon of water per plant every 3 days. If you keep the ground around it soaking wet this will also turn the leaves yellow from root rot. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom